• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi without sim card

theta

Lurker
Apr 23, 2010
Hello, I am wondering if I buy HTC Desire or not.
It is coming out on April 27th in Japan.
I have contacted with the supplier, SoftBank, to ask a question if it is possible to use WiFi without sim card. And they said it is not possible.
So, I wonder is there any application which i can download from the market to let it possible to use WiFi without SIM Card.
If you know anything, please tell me.
Thank you so much.

I think there should be some application.
Last month, in Japan, Smart phone, which is called Xperia, came out.
The Wifi did work on the phone without Sim Card. However, in this month, an application came to be available to download to use WiFi without Sim Card. So.. I just wondered there must be something to let it be possible.

Upvote 0
You mean Wi-Fi for data access right? Without the sim you wouldn't be able to make calls.
I am yet to come across an Android phone that doesn't function without a sim card except the Xperia. Sony Ericsson seem to have a thing about sim cards. Their Symbian devices (Satio and Vivaz) both don't work without sims.

IIRC The G1, Hero, Pulse, Samsung Galaxy Portal i5700, LG GW620 and the Desire all work without sims using Wi-Fi for data access.

*edit* unless Im missing your point. I mean I just did a test with my desire and its fine without a sim card.

Upvote 0
When you first turn it on, you have the option of wifi only.

IF however you insert a SIM, from that point on it will always need a SIM.

Mine was first turned on with a sim, and I selected Wi-Fi and 3G at bootup. If works fine with a sim or without a sim. As do many other Android devices I have tested.

The Hero has an annoying thing if you use it without a sim where when you unlock it it opens a dial pad with the option for emergency calls but you can cancel that and use it as normal.

The Desire works as normal without a sim from what I can see, obviously network location doesn't work and SMS, MMS and Calls don't work.

Upvote 0
Thank you, everyone.
Yes, I meant that without SIM, i just want to use WiFi, but not a phone call.
Xperia, if Sim is not inserted and turn on, the emergency call came out. To cancel that
1. download an application, wosim.
2. With inserting a sim, change the wireless setting, ON the mode.
Then, Turn off, take out the sim, turn on, and the emergency call doesn't show up. Then, change the wireless setting, and OFF the mode.

IF I do one of them, I can use network using WiFi.

Since HTC Desire is not available in Japan until 27th April, I just wanted to know if I can use WiFi without Sim Card.

Upvote 0
Phones go into lockdown mode when they don't have a simcard. You would probably have to root your phone in order to get wi-fi access and other such features.

My dealer also told me that I couldn't use my HTC Desire HD phone on wi-fi once the simcard was out. I put away in a box, while I decided whether to resell it or not.

Read this article, turned the phone on, and it works just fine on wi-fi. Might be useful as a baby monitor or something.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones