• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wiggle - New app in the market!

AJRocha

Lurker
Feb 23, 2009
header2.png

Hey guys,
I just released my first Android application to the market called Wiggle. Wiggle allows you to change your phone settings according to Wireless networks in range. You have the ability to set your own "profiles" according to the name of the Wireless access point (SSID). Once your phone phone detects that network is in range, it will apply your profile settings.

The idea of this program came to me when using another great application in the market that we've all heard of, Locale. The only problem that I had with Locale was when going indoors, I couldn't rely on using the GPS satellite signal when I was at work or at home. Furthermore, the cell-tower location (aGPS) is waaaaay too inaccurate, and half of the time it wouldn't work. Then it hit me, what is the one geo-location reference point that works indoors (and outdoors if signal is strong enough), yup WiFi! Wireless access points are geographically static and are not going no where any time soon (for the most part), so they become a great point of reference geographically speaking.

This way I can be sure that whenever I am at work or at home or anywhere indoors, my profile settings will apply no matter what. By no means do I intend to replace or compete with Locale, but rather provide Android users with another way to apply phone settings without having to rely on seldomly unreliable GPS signal.

Currently, Wiggle only supports 3 settings (Ringer, Bluetooth, GPS) but I will be adding more options in the next few weeks. Other pending updates are status bar notifications as well as the ability to allow the user to set their own Network detection Frequency.

Please check out Wiggle in the Android market and let me know what you guys think. Any feedback will be welcomed.

Thanks!
Alex

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones