• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Google ever step up its media syncing game?

I agree that not all encoding software is equal in terms of bit rate to actual quality. But its generally true that 128 kb/s sounds like crap compared to a 320 kb/s version. Or even lossless. AAC is not as bad at 128 kb/s as MP3, but the quality loss is still noticeable.

Exactly. Tweaking the settings or using a differently-optimized encoder will never make as big a difference as simply increasing the bitrate.

Upvote 0
But if your going with such high bitrate on mp3, with no audible difference, (to most people) why not just go full blown lossless.?

It all depends on your situation.

The DAC in the Droid, for example, isn't good enough that lossless will sound any better than a 320 kbps MP3, and the space savings of the MP3s will add up once you get enough files, especially with a relatively small SD card. Same goes for an iPod. And if you're listening in a car, lossless (or even 320 kbps) is mad overkill—road noise, Bluetooth streaming (if you use it), and poor car speakers all take their toll on the sound quality.

In these two situations, the quality advantage of lossless is obliterated, since none of the sound systems involved can reproduce the music accurately enough to make a difference anyway. In this case, the space savings of MP3 are well worth it.

On the other hand, if you're listening at home on good speakers and using a high-quality Firewire DAC (i.e. in a situation where the quality difference IS noticeable), the lossless files are indeed worth the extra hard drive space. I actually keep two copies of most of my music—a set of 256 kbps AACs for portable use and a lossless set for home listening. Obviously it's not worth keeping a lossless copy of, say, spoken word files, or tracks that have been transferred from 78 RPM records. But you haven't lived until you've listened to the Beethoven symphonies in CD quality on a set of studio monitors. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones