• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Will the Ally get 2.2?

From the talk on android 2.2 for ally? - LG Forum - LG Mobile Phone Forums - Carriers - Verizon it's still "officially" up on the air. "Unofficially" it's a dead point. Plan on patches to fix what bugs they can but it's 80% that the Ally isn't getting FroYo.

There is very very little cost difference between a 512mb NAND chip and a 256mb NAND chip. So since 2.2 allows for mem addressing above 256mb they could do a HW revision 2 that has more memory and would work with future updates (as well as make the device much quicker and more stable).

The real question is: What can we do to get Lg to solve this issue?

they should have the space it ant going to have flash and u can put the apps on the sd card and they could just go back to the 2d stock luncher but i dont think they will do that for 2.2

Upvote 0
I don't think they'd do that just to get 2.2 either. To most people, FroYo 2.2 = full flash capabilities. And they aren't going to drop their UI addon, nor will they move any of the stock apps to the SD card (that's really for user apps, not factory apps). The good news is, the main thing most Ally users want from 2.2 (JIT) can be added to a 2.1 system with the appropriate kernel compile, and that should get rid of 80% of people's complaints on the phone (sluggish/slowness). Just need someone to start making alternate kernels/roms for this phone and it will follow. 2.2 in a stripped down custom rom may also be possible, but don't expect it to be 'official'.

Upvote 0
I don't think they'd do that just to get 2.2 either. To most people, FroYo 2.2 = full flash capabilities. And they aren't going to drop their UI addon, nor will they move any of the stock apps to the SD card (that's really for user apps, not factory apps). The good news is, the main thing most Ally users want from 2.2 (JIT) can be added to a 2.1 system with the appropriate kernel compile, and that should get rid of 80% of people's complaints on the phone (sluggish/slowness). Just need someone to start making alternate kernels/roms for this phone and it will follow. 2.2 in a stripped down custom rom may also be possible, but don't expect it to be 'official'.

if they can get an half a$$ed 2.2 on mytouch 3g i dont see a prob, i know ally wont have the flash but i can live with out that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones