• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless charging for Moto G Pure

Often if a phone is made out of plastic (which many budget phones, including all Motos, are) Qi charging won't work. It has to be metal or glass, or have a special charging cover that enables that feature (such as the Samsung Galaxy S5 aftermarket wireless charging cover)

OP is having major USB-C charging issues similar to me; been discussing it in another thread. The ol'e 'it shows it's charging but actually drains while on charger' issue. I use wireless charging but my phone is an expensive flagship.

Reactions: Dave012345678910
Upvote 0
Actually Nick it's the opposite-
The two coils (in the phone and the charger) basically are a transformer, and in order for it to work there cannot be anything metallic or conductive between them. Qi-enabled phones will only have plastic or glass backs. Try putting some aluminum foil between your phone and charging pad and see how well it works (actually don't, but you get the point).
I used an aftermarket charging coil for a while on my S5, I could have gotten the OEM wireless charging back but it would have made the phone too thick to use a case and that was a deal-breaker. The aftermarket coils were cheap and fit inside the existing back between it and the battery. But after cooking a few batteries due to the heat it produced I gave up and went back to wired charging. I don't know if the Samsung back would have had the same problem.
I've been using wireless charging on my S9 in the almost 5 years I've had it and it has worked well. The only time I use wired charging is in the vehicles. I have a couple of the Samsung charging pads which are nice because they actually have little fans in them to keep the phone and pad cool, most other ones don't. I don't think you can get them new any more.

Upvote 0
The Galaxy S9 had a big problem with its USB-C port that always thought it had moisture and wouldn't charge. We often had to use wireless charging here at work (the boss and others used S9s) to work around it.

The only time I have to mess with USB-C is when using Android Auto. And yes, I often have to unplug and plug it in two or three times before it works. Thankfully it's the only USB-C device I have. The rest are reliable ol'e Micro USB.

They still sold the chargers with fans as late as 2021, which is the year on the back of the Super Fast Wireless Charging stand that I got a couple of years ago. I think it was meant for the S20.

Upvote 0
At work we had three employees at one time that had freshly upgraded to S9s, from S3/S4s. All three ultimately did the 'moisture warning' issue and wouldn't charge unless you used wireless.

I still blame USB-C. I have had a hostile relationship with it ever since it became 'mandated' without my approval. Literally NOBODY asked for this.

The 'moisture detected' error was pretty well-known at the time the S9 was the latest thing. search for 'Galaxy S9 design flaw moisture detected' and you'll get tons of results. It's a well known issue. None of the the mentioned phones EVER got wet.

My main gripe with Type C is that it usually always says it's charging but it drains while it says so. I can't trust it. Never had issues with Micro USB at all. EVER. Always worked if it showed it were charging. Even if you got the 'Battery with X or ! inside it' error it would still charge, just slower than normal. I wouldn't wake up to 18% 'charging' like today.

Micro USB also never had Android Auto issues with my Galaxy S5 either. Now, I'm lucky if I don't have to unplug/replug the damn Z Flip 4 five times before it works. The rest are either my Pioneer deck being blank, or it showing 'no signal/icon with ! inside it' and no connectivity (while the outer display shows plenty of signal) or it not responding to touch/voice control.

As harsh as it sounds, I feel whomever decided that USB Type C was a good idea needs to be lined up and shot. Change for change's sake. Micro USB was never an issue if you aren't an idiot. The little USB symbol faces up, for those who don't know. Even when Apple (and Samsung) had that wonky 30-pin connector, there was a visible icon that showed the 'up' side. But hardly anyone read the frelling manual to know that and blamed the wrong person for being an idiot.

Back in 2014 when Type C first launched (on the Nexus 6) the whole selling point was 'it's reversible!' and that was one of the 'remarks' that CrApple fans used to brag about their lightning connector, 'but you can plug it in either way!' So I always figured that was why USB-C happened in the first place. I wish everyone would stop looking to Apple for advice, or who to follow. I wish Android just remained its own thing like it was in Android 2.3, Gingerbread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones