• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless Charging

drexappeal

Extreme Android User
Apr 8, 2010
West LA, CA
What's up everyone.

I'm doing some research for some relatives that are likely upgrading to the S5. The wireless charging covers were already available for pre-order, but for those of you that actually have the phone and the official wireless charging cover, would you mind commenting on whether it actually increases the size of the back or if it's the same size as the non-wireless charging back cover?

Reason I ask is, the Note 3's official wireless charging cover was bulkier, which is the reason I decided on getting a charging receiver insert instead of the OEM replacement cover. It wasn't bulkier by much, but didn't work with ultra slim cases, so I never went that route.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I am also interested in wireless charging. The only back cover I see from Samsung looks to me like it's part of a flip cover. Not really interested in that.

I don't see this one on the Samsung accessory site but I found it on amazon. Looks like just under $50 for the back cover and the charging pad. Amazon.com: Samsung Wireless Charging Cover for Samsung Galaxy S5 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Galaxy S 5 Wireless Charging Cover, Black

It's one of the accessories they announced before launch day

Upvote 0
Thanks for chiming in, all. What I am most curious about is finding out if Samsung managed to find a way to keep the back cover the same size as the regular or if slightly thicker like on the s4 and note 3.

So, for those that do end up getting the oem, please share the info in this thread.

For those that are going to try wireless charging, there is a great wireless charging thread we started in the Note 3 forum, that can give you ideas for all the qi wireless charging options available

Upvote 0
Thanks for chiming in, all. What I am most curious about is finding out if Samsung managed to find a way to keep the back cover the same size as the regular or if slightly thicker like on the s4 and note 3.

So, for those that do end up getting the oem, please share the info in this thread.

For those that are going to try wireless charging, there is a great wireless charging thread we started in the Note 3 forum, that can give you ideas for all the qi wireless charging options available

I don't believe the wireless charging covers are available yet for the GS5.

Upvote 0
I don't believe the wireless charging covers are available yet for the GS5.

I see. I was assuming that people who might have pre-ordered (based on this article), would have received their wireless charging covers already:

Samsung Galaxy S5 wireless charging battery covers now available for pre-order, loads of other accessories too

No worries. Just want to get an idea if Samsung has figured out how to keep the back cover the same size regardless of wireless charging or not. Otherwise, I'd recommend my relatives to wait for the insert, rather than getting the OEM back cover.

Upvote 0
I see. I was assuming that people who might have pre-ordered (based on this article), would have received their wireless charging covers already:

Samsung Galaxy S5 wireless charging battery covers now available for pre-order, loads of other accessories too

No worries. Just want to get an idea if Samsung has figured out how to keep the back cover the same size regardless of wireless charging or not. Otherwise, I'd recommend my relatives to wait for the insert, rather than getting the OEM back cover.

yeah, it's been available for pre-order but out of stock from day one.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I'd be interested in knowing if some charge faster than others? Is the Samsung replacement back faster than the little modules? Are some modules better than others?

From the time I spent w/the NOTE 3,the replacement back is the fastest.

As for the tags/modules, get the highest output you can find. Most will have the information in a close-up/screenshot, or, in the product description where they're commonly found (AMAZON & e-Bay).
Try to find one w/at least .750A output, lower rated tags tend to cause a vicious heat-slowcharge cycle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones