• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Worried about scratching the camera lens...??

My camera lens already has a little scratch on it. I have since started using the kickstand whenever I sit my Evo down.

It does rest on the glass (not the little metal ring). When I run my finger across it, I can't feel any bump where the metal starts from the glass.

I picked up my white v004 a few days ago and the glass lense cover is slightly recessed below the red metal ring.

Now If the glass gets laid on something that protruded it could definitely get scratched, but mine does not rest on the glass.

My Seidio Innocase II Surface w/holster gets delivered tomorrow so hopefully that will eliminate any chances of damage to the glass or any other part.

Upvote 0
My solution is to keep my evo on a little pedestal, literally.

xPpa3l.jpg

nHJijl.jpg

AM60Pl.jpg

Upvote 0
Put an over sized battery in it and problem solved lol. I've got one of the 3500mAh batteries in mine and the camera lens is really receded ( like 1/8th inch )

Righto. It's what I did. Get great battery life, and protect the camera lens. Phone also fits better in my hand. Two jumbo batteries, battery charger, and battery case cover, $29 ebay. Works like a charm. The battery life is extended 2x or 3x, and, in a pinch, just change out a depleted battery for the freshly charged 2nd battery in 30 seconds. If I forget to plug in my phone over night, I can head out because I can typically get two days out of a charge, and I use my phone for tethering and navigation. Fat bats are a good thing. It's an option that Steve Jobs does not appreciate. He's going with the proprietary architecture that nearly put Apple out of business in the 80's, and it's opening great avenues for competitors to make a better product, like the HTC EVO.

Upvote 0
If youre worried about scratching the thing that is made to protect the camera (its not even the camera itself, its an enclosure for the camera) then get a case. The otterbox cases are really nice. Theres the serious one, and there are a couple that offer slight protection against scratches and would probable protect the protruding camera enclosure.

Upvote 0
How do I protect my lens from getting scratches?

I haven't removed that little plastic cover that came with the EVO, yet. I'm refraining from really using it, because I'm waiting on my Mugen 3200mah extended battery and door, before I remove that plastic cover.

Yeah, I thought the battery cover was fragile, too, but, it's surprisingly resilient. You'll find that the cover has a slot located at the seam, and you can start the separation there, working your way around. It seems designed to be removed and reinstalled--not thousands of times, but enough that you can readily access the battery and the SD card, and button it up easily.

Upvote 0
I have tried every kind of screen protector out there, from the self healing, to the basic clear hard plastic, the basic clear cling plastic, the privacy screen, the mirror, the mirror privacy, the matte black privacy protector, and nude.

I agree that everyone thinks the nude look feels better and works better over all UNTIL you get a scratch. then you wish you had one. The feel is different obviously, but you get used to it and you don't even think about it. If you ever plan on reselling the phone its nice to not have any scratches on it.

But i guess that is up to whether or not you want to take that risk.

On the matter of the case, you MUST have a case, IMO. the massive screen on the front is begging to be cracked after a good couple of drops, and that back panel is flimsy, who are they kidding?! I've tried the 99cent eBay silicone cases which get annoying if you are always taking it in and out of your pocket. The hard cases on ebay are ok, cheap but ok for intermittent use. I currently have the OtterBox Commuter case which makes the phone a bit bulky, but gives it great protection. Without a case when you set the camera on its back it is leaning on the camera lens, which is NOT good, a design flaw, IMO. when you set it on its front it is on the screen of course. but with the Commuter case the camera is recessed and your phone will not lay on it while on its back, and the screen is also recessed due to some little rubber bumpers (best way to explain it). The Commuter case offers the shock absorbency of rubber cases and the solidness of a hard case (it has both a rubber inner case and a hard outer case)

so there is my $0.02

Commuter case
HTC EVO Commuter Series Case, HTC EVO case, HTC EVO cases // OtterBox.com

retails for 34.95 on the site but you can find it for 20-25 if you look on amazon or google shops (i got mine for $22)

and did i mention it comes with a screen protector?

---Pasted from another thread

Upvote 0
The lens on my first Evo got scratched. I had it replaced because of random reboot and I didn't want it to happen on the new device. I ordered a silicon case from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Silicone Skin BLACK Rubber Soft Cover Case HTC EVO 4G (SPRINT) [WCS677]: Cell Phones & Accessories

It is perfect. The lens is completely recessed when the case is on and after two months the bare phone still looks like it just came out of the factory. The only drawback is the case is so grippy its a little hard to slide in and out of my pocket.

Upvote 0
I don't really like cases and I came across this thing. It keeps the EVO slim and provides the exact protection for the lens you need. The stupid lens is flush mount with the red metal housing. This thing takes the worries out of that flawed design! You just press it on, they also give you two. Sweet.

Amazon.com: Cell Phone Camera Lens Protector (2 PER Box, Protects the Exposed Camera Lens From Scratches and Damage for the HTC Sprint Evo and Verizon Droid Incredible Without the Need for a Bulky Case). Easy Installation and Allows the Back Cover to

That's pretty darn cool and I like that it covers up the red surround (never been a fan of red). I may just buy one of those, even though I already have a screen protector film on the lens itself.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what the lens is made out of, but I've thought about this before.

I think I'm gonna get an extra zagg/phantom skinz/whatever and cut a circular piece out to cover the lens. I don't know how well it will work or if it will cause any degradation in the picture quality, but it's worth a shot.

dont need to get a zagg one with a normal one clear would be more than enough ... just as a precaution... the zagg one would change the quality of the picture...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones