• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Would an LG F90 Volt (VM) Compare to a Galaxy S3?

larrytxeast

Nov 3, 2011
If I am "over-posting," please forgive me, but that said--would this phone compare favorably to someone considering the Galaxy S3? I ask because I saw someone selling a Galaxy S3 last night for $100 and started to jump on it, but then remembered about the LG Volt.

I don't require a lot of "bling" (although a 4.7/4.8" screen is a big upgrade over the 4" of my current LG F3), the main thing is I want the device to have pretty much no lag or "stuttering." Speed is everything to me, along with a reliable GPS.

I think you will be happy with either. Speed-wise, they are very similar. The antutu scores are almost the same (with the Volt scoring a tad higher I think) and the specs are very close.

Personally, I'd go with the volt since you would be getting it new and the S3 is (I think?) used. Also the volt has superior battery life.

The S3 is a higher end phone though so it might be a bit more quality feeling, just a guess. Also the development community is probably a bit stronger for custom roms and the like. Not something I have looked into, but an educated guess.

Upvote 0
I would agree that development will probably advance faster for the S3. Also, I think it has a bit more RAM. Since you aren't concerned about bells and whistles, the really question is if it's worth saving $30 and getting a used phone that's already outdated.

The Volt has way better battery life than the S3 did brand new. Now that S3 battery is X amount of time old, so it's battery life is even worse now.

My opinion, the Volt is the better option in the long run.

Upvote 0
The f90 is not the volt. The s3 has a higher resolution but when you compare actual pixel count they both probably come out the same. The volt has a faster CPU, kit Kat, enhanced LTE, and a larger battery. The s3 also has a bad user history. Lots of haters on the virgin mobile forums.

Upvote 0
If I am "over-posting," please forgive me, but that said--would this phone compare favorably to someone considering the Galaxy S3? I ask because I saw someone selling a Galaxy S3 last night for $100 and started to jump on it, but then remembered about the LG Volt.

I don't require a lot of "bling" (although a 4.7/4.8" screen is a big upgrade over the 4" of my current LG F3), the main thing is I want the device to have pretty much no lag or "stuttering." Speed is everything to me, along with a reliable GPS.

here is your side by side comparioson as far as the specs go LG Volt vs Samsung Galaxy S III - Phone specs comparison

Upvote 0
You know, everything keeps saying the Volt has a light sensor, but when I installed an app for automatic brightness control it says there was no light sensor and that it would have to use the camera to determine the brightness. Android Sensor Box also said there was no light sensor. Is it possible that the light sensor is locked away like the IR for some reason?

Upvote 0
probably. Did you check in the build.prop? I found several options for the keyboard that were turned off by default like trace input and handwriting .

I just looked through it, without being 100% sure where to look, I did find a block of sensor entries, but nothing that appeared to be a light sensor.

I just don't get why every site I've looked at would say there is a light sensor when there isn't one.

Upvote 0
The comparison above is the non-US version of the S3 and has the quad-core. The US version has a dual core and 2 gb of RAM (also incorrect). Look at the talk time as well. There is no 2100 maH battery that compares to the battery on my Volt. 20% is the new 5% for me. And that is usually late at night or mornings when i forget to plug it in. I was skeptical as well but the battery life put me over the edge for the volt. Debloat it and youll be stoked with it.

Upvote 0
The comparison above is the non-US version of the S3 and has the quad-core. The US version has a dual core and 2 gb of RAM (also incorrect). Look at the talk time as well. There is no 2100 maH battery that compares to the battery on my Volt. 20% is the new 5% for me. And that is usually late at night or mornings when i forget to plug it in. I was skeptical as well but the battery life put me over the edge for the volt. Debloat it and youll be stoked with it.

I didn't know that was the European version. I am with you though. The volt is an awesome phone. I would never trade it for a Samsung.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones