• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would Love to Hear Opinions From People Who Switched From Iphone

The specific nature of _this_ thread was a comparison of the Incredible coming from an "iPhone". When you are switching from a Ferrari to another Ferrari there aren't a TON of benefits to list beyond the ones I've listed (excluding the previous folks who listed quite a few).

They are both good phones so from one iPhone user to another I wish someone would have laid out some of things I could have expected upon switching. If you knowingly continue to purchase the phone after acknowledging its faults then you will be pleasantly surprised and happy with your experience.

Objectivity is not Bias.

And, again, many of my statements are 'opinions' which are only one person's interpretation of both phones strengths and weaknesses.

Right, I guess when I first read your post, I didn't get an objective opinion. I saw more as a rant to point out every major/minor flaws of incredible/android and only inserting a sort list of pros as an after thought.

And without saying, this is an android forum, so you're going to get flak for saying crap about android. If I were to post something similar to your post but about the iphone on an iphone forum, I would get the same response.

Upvote 0
My complaints with the eris were due to its slowness and sense UI. If I go with the incredible, I hope it is rooted soon so I can go with plain Android. I'm just not a fan of sense UI.

The challenge right now is this line of the Android phones (Desire/Incredible/EVO) devices have actually had preventative measures put in place to stop rooting to some degree. It will still happen. However, because of this you can expected it to be slower. Even when it does finally get rooted you _may_ be limited in the flexibility you have on the phone due to hardware measures implemented.

I'm right there with you... I'd REALLY like to try some of the other ROMS on this hardware as I think they would solve some of my current issues I've had.

On another note if speed was your 'only' issue in comparison to the Eris then you will be pleasantly surprised with this device. It is fast and snappy. Probably the first Android phone that is as 'responsive' as an iPhone to me. Things don't move as 'smooth' as an iPhone (going back to polish) but they are finally 'responsive' which is a pleasant experience.

Enough so that I'm trying desperately to switch platforms... =)

Upvote 0
The challenge right now is this line of the Android phones (Desire/Incredible/EVO) devices have actually had preventative measures put in place to stop rooting to some degree. It will still happen. However, because of this you can expected it to be slower. Even when it does finally get rooted you _may_ be limited in the flexibility you have on the phone due to hardware measures implemented.

I'm right there with you... I'd REALLY like to try some of the other ROMS on this hardware as I think they would solve some of my current issues I've had.

On another note if speed was your 'only' issue in comparison to the Eris then you will be pleasantly surprised with this device. It is fast and snappy. Probably the first Android phone that is as 'responsive' as an iPhone to me. Things don't move as 'smooth' as an iPhone (going back to polish) but they are finally 'responsive' which is a pleasant experience.

Enough so that I'm trying desperately to switch platforms... =)

sounds like we are in the same boat. I was running the 2.1 leak on the eris so I do have a pretty good idea what to expect from android. Android is definitely not as fluid or intuitive as the iphone os. Apps also are better on the iphone. I just like the open nature of android.

Upvote 0
sounds like we are in the same boat. I was running the 2.1 leak on the eris so I do have a pretty good idea what to expect from android. Android is definitely not as fluid or intuitive as the iphone os. Apps also are better on the iphone. I just like the open nature of android.

I completely agree. It is REALLY refreshing to customize the desktop and add widgets. I'm not really a fan of half the widgets and think the design of the whole system is a little quirky but I'll take it. I like that I can install apps over the net from a website if I want. I like that Google is doing this motivated by enhancing the platform rather than monopolizing the experience (which has down sides too).

But the number one killer app is not an app at all. It's the fact that no one can be rejected and can release apps to this phone whenever OR however they want. Google can take you off the Marketplace but left it open to install remotely.

The ONLY issue with this phone right now is it hasn't had enough time to Mature. It's close enough I want to switch anyway... =)

Upvote 0
I am an iPhone 3GS user myself and I actually have the phone still while I am test driving Verizon network with this somewhat Incredible Incredible :p

I agree with everything that everyone stated above; apps are kinda polished, battery life sucks! sucks! sucks!. The only thing that I don't agree with is the sound... I find the sound to be well kinda crappy compared to the 3GS and it might just be because of the speaker location on the back idk but I don't like the sound. I've had a few apps crash on me but w.e. I also don't like the charger placement... Makes it harder to talk or test no the phone while charging. All and all its going to be a tough decision for me to switch or not. It would be cheeper to stay with Verizon which also has better service may I add (Main reason why I decided to try out Verizon) but I love the iPhone much more I just hate the AT&T network as I am sure many switchers do as well.

If the iPhone were on VW that would be an easy choice.

Upvote 0
If the iPhone were on VW that would be an easy choice.

What this guy said. Let me preface this by saying I do have an incredible, I've been using it for a week, and I'm keeping it as my main phone.

Incredible is a better phone on paper, but when comparing technology that comes out 12 months apart that's expected. I'll be keeping my Incredible, but iPhone is a better experience. Android apps aren't as polished, the UI (although somewhat improved with Sense) has a lot of just ridiculous usability issues. It seems like they expect you to buy apps to replace core phone functionality to make it more streamlined. The only reason to choose it over an iPhone is Verizon's network, or if your hatred for Apple has blinded you to the point where you're no longer objective.

Sniff that kool aid before you take a sip, but pick one up anyway. You won't hate it, and your NE2 will be back up by the time Verizon gets an iPhone. In the meantime, hang out for root access then wifi tether it to your ipod touch.

Upvote 0
I just don't see what about the Incredible would make anyone want to run for the iPhone. I mean, last summer before Android was even a forethought in my mind, I wanted an iphone but wasn't really willing to leave Verizon. Of course, there wasn't much else as an option. I think Verizon was featuring WinMo and BB, and the EnV touch was the latest hot thing. Whereas nothing could touch the iphone back then on usability, it seems that Android has caught up, and the hardware is superior now. It still doesn't offer the level of refinement of iphone OS, but Apple has locked things down in many ways to ensure this. If you're okay with limited options, that's fine. The iphone app market rules supreme, but I've virtually stopped downloading anything but the mainstream apps or utilities because nearly EVERY extracurricular app has a pricetag, sometimes unwarranted. The stuff that is free on the iphone app market is pretty much paralleled by the Android market. But Android doesn't shackle you on customization. I've heard the iphone experience described as easy and fluid as well as dumbed-down. I think people are trying to say the same thing, but from different sides of the fence. If you hate tweaking, the iphone is great and a better experience. If you love it, it's gets boring real fast and there are a number of better options that win in ALL aspects (including usability and experience). I guess I'm in the latter group and will probably never own an iphone. To each their own.

Upvote 0
Is the hardware on the incrediblereally better than the 3gs? From my understaning the seperate gpu on the iPhone still creates more fps than the incredible. From every video I saw it seems that the loading time of web pages is very similar. It also seems that videos and pictures actually look better on the 3gs. It seems the camera sensor may be better onthe 3gs eventhough it has less mega pixels. With the 3gs being a year old I hoped the incredible would have beaten the 3gs by a wide margin in these categories but it hasn't.

Upvote 0
My BB plan coming up, probably going Incredible. Why from your experience do you say Droid incredible > iPhone? Thanks.

Browser speed. My #1 concern. The iPhone 3Gs simply cannot keep up. Multiple videos on the web and I have personally tested them side by side on my Wi-Fi network. My Incredible is substantially faster than the iPhone.

Verizon. I don't care what Luke Wilson says. VZW's 3G works where AT&T doesn't. Sorry.

1 Gig Processor. When I use my wife's iPhone it frustrates me how slow it is.

Larger and higher resolution display.

Change batteries.

Memory card slot.

More seamless Google integration.

No need to rely on iTunes to install... well... everything. Plug it in to your computer, it's a thumb drive. Drag and drop... you're done.

Camera. The Incredible's camera is off the hook. I'm a semi-professional photographer with a laundry list of high end pro equipment. The camera on this phone simply amazes me. It's not a dSLR, but it's better by a long shot than my top end point-and-shoot.

That's just off the top of my head.

Hope it helps.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry I didn't elaborate, so I'll do so now.

The Dinc just beats the iPhone in almost every respect for me. Granted, the current iPhone has been released for quite some time, but it's nowhere near close to android IMO.

The speed is amazing.

The screen is gorgeous.

The ability to customize all of your home screens with useful and functional widgets is fantastic.

This hardware running the android OS is just an incredibly sick combination. If you browse, text, send e-mail, and do all of the other things from your phone often as most smart phone users do then this phone provides a smoother, easier way of doing that than any phone I've had, including an iPhone.

Another huuuge thing for me is being able to simply drag and drop music to the phone. Having to screw with iTunes is such a pain in the ass for me. I always hated having to install that bloated crap.

I also have to say I'm quite eager for this thing to be rooted. The fact that I can put different roms on this that are all tweaked and hacked out excites the crap out of me......

To be fair I will cover my only beef with the phone thus far. My in-call quality has never been fantastic. I did have to do a factory restore once, because it was horrid at first. After that it was much much better, but still not great. I do however think that this is partly due to me not getting a good verizon signal at my apartment which does suck.

You won't regret getting this phone and switching from the iPhone. Android is awesome, and this phone is awesome. (I actually have to try not to use the word incredible) :D

The iPhone is a great smart phone for everyone. It's stupid easy and has big buttons. Android and the incredible take the smart phone a step further.

Upvote 0
if the iphone is so much better why all you folks switch ?and yes i hear the att horror stories but this is the 3gen iphone so you knew that already.and whats is it the iphone do that ANDROID can't?ahh let me see nothing..

I can count of 2 things:

1) Cisco IPSEC VPN w/ group Authentication. ConnectBot,SSH, VNC on Android is useless to me w/out a CISCO vpn.

2)Yahoo Mail that work on wifi as well as cellular.

Not so important but compelling below:

3) Tom Tom and Navigon GPS. As much as I like the free Google Navigation,I much prefer the Navigon.

4) Ability to buy movie rentals w/out the need for conversion, bitorrent or handbbrake to get on my phone. I travel a bit and I like to download travel documentaries thry the iTune store.

5)Free Wifi at various Starbucks/ATT dest. I wish Verizon had hook-ups with retailers.

Upvote 0
I have a point I haven't heard anyone say yet.

A lot of you are talking about the "polished" aspects of the iphone. Remind me, how many years had they had the iphone out, and how many models did it take before it became "polished". I'm not arguing either way, but before you say that the iphone is way better because it's "polished" lets consider one has had years upon years, including multiple horrible models before it came that way. This is a first try effort that's been out for a month, and I'd say it's done pretty incredible for that aspect alone.

Upvote 0
OK...so I have to say that this thread for the most part is very informative. Someone e asked for previous iPhone owners to give their opinion upon switching phones. That is what they are doing. When I had my iPhone, I never looked at any other phone. I was totally satisfied with it. At&t service is what finally got me to make the switch. I have the Motorola Droid now and just ordered the incredible a couple days ago. I can tell you for sure, if the iPhone were on Verizon now it would be a difficult choice for me too. I can't wait to get my I credible though. I hate that apple is so closed. I really like to customize my phones with themes and stuff so that is why I am sticking with the freedom of Google android....it comes down to what works for each individual in terms of their style and what meets their needs. Its not really necessary to bash people BC they prefer one over the other. Hopefully we all end up happy with our phones!

Upvote 0
I have a point I haven't heard anyone say yet.

A lot of you are talking about the "polished" aspects of the iphone. Remind me, how many years had they had the iphone out, and how many models did it take before it became "polished". I'm not arguing either way, but before you say that the iphone is way better because it's "polished" lets consider one has had years upon years, including multiple horrible models before it came that way. This is a first try effort that's been out for a month, and I'd say it's done pretty incredible for that aspect alone.

Uh, I don't know where you can make that claim. iPhone came out in June 2007. The 1st Android Phone came out in Oct. 2008. The T-Mobile G1. Android has been out munch longer. History traces back to 2005 when Google bought out Danger/Andy Rubenstein's team. They've been developing the OS since 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

Yeah, the Incredible has been out for a month but HTC is knee deep in Android. They, did, in fact design and delivered the 1st Android Phone - T-Mobile G1. It was flopping real hard until the Motorola Droid made Android a household name.

iPhone was pretty polished from day one in terms of mobile web browsing and media playback. Sure, it didn't have the cut-n-paste,mms,etc but it was still light years ahead of anyone else. I know this because I was the first people to use Windows Mobile when it was Pocket PC as far back as 1998. I've been thru every major WINCE device (even develop software for a few years), switch to Palm a few times and even had the 1st Sharp Linux based PDA. I was one of those guys who went out and spent $600-1000 for PDAs. You name it, I probably had it- Velo, Axim, Workpad z50,etc...

When the iPhone came out, it pretty much eclipsed and re-defined mobile computing as we know it. It pretty much killed Windows Mobile. The first time I saw mobile Safari, my jaws dropped. I spent over $200 over the years on various 3rd party web browsers and none of them matched Safari.

It is easy to dismiss the whole non-flash thing (and Apple's reluctance to use it) right now. I was one of the Windows CE developers as far back as 2001 who was promised a mobile version of Flash from then Macromedia. Flash forward 9 years later and mobile Flash is only becoming a reality.

Upvote 0
They are both great phones. You have to try each and see which features fit you the best. I like the abilty to add widgets to my home screen so I can see most of what I need in one glance. For me the iPhone notification sound was too quiet and you can't tweak it or add your own. I have noticed reception differences between iPhone and Incredible. I get better reception with the Incredible at work, but worse at home. With the Incredible I can go to Settings, About, and Network and see my signal strength - can't do that with iPhone. (Riding in a car as a passenger in my neighborhood I could monitor the signal strength and I found the closest Verizon cell tower.)

An example why what works for one person might not for another - my poor signal strength at home. I have Wi-Fi at home so the poor signal strength doesn't matter. The Internet and data use Wi-Fi at my home (which is easier on the battery then 3G).

iPhone is a lot easier to set up and use.

I had a Droid in November and brought it back after ten days. I've had the Incredible for 12 days and I think I'll be keeping it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones