• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would This Froyo/GPS update Apply to Fascinate too?

D

Deleted User

This was listed under the "Samsung Galaxy S" sub-forum but would it also apply to the Fascinate and other US variants of the phone as well?

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/104872-gps-issues-8.html

If you read through that page there is a guy on there who is talking to someone at Clove Technology who is supposedly talking to someone from Samsung. What they are saying is that the fixes will be bundled with Froyo and hoping for an end of September update.

Note, that the Galaxy S forum isn't specific to the Fascinate ROM (special build). So be careful when applying things from other Galaxy S Phones. They are the same basic hardware (with subtle flash/keyboard exceptions) but the innards are roughly the same. The ROMs will be different.

Froyo will be coming out on all the Galaxy phones, but dont apply non-fascinate fixes unless someone was a guinea pig first... or you could mess up your phone. More than likely though if you flash something over your phone it will just block it if it is not directly from verizon (non-root of course).

Upvote 0
I spent about 45min with the fascinate in my local VZW store today & as I have said in a couple other threads the GPS had no issues at all. Sats locked faster than my eris which consistantly locks in 10 sec.& GPS Test reported accuracy to 100 feet, thats eleven feet better than my eris reported standing in the exact same spot inside the store. GPS test also stated that there were 10 stas available for use on both my eris & the fascinate & reported 4 of the sats actually being used on my eris compared to 6 sats being used on the Fascinate. GPS problems were non existant as the sats stayed locked the entire time I was using the phone. I know 45min is not a long period of time but it was good enough for me to plop down the dough for this bad boy, should have it by 3p tomorrow! Oh and the GPU rocks!!! Played "Need for Speed Shift" half the time I was in the store & it was smooth as silk!!

Upvote 0
Note, that the Galaxy S forum isn't specific to the Fascinate ROM (special build). So be careful when applying things from other Galaxy S Phones. They are the same basic hardware (with subtle flash/keyboard exceptions) but the innards are roughly the same. The ROMs will be different.

Froyo will be coming out on all the Galaxy phones, but dont apply non-fascinate fixes unless someone was a guinea pig first... or you could mess up your phone. More than likely though if you flash something over your phone it will just block it if it is not directly from verizon (non-root of course).

I guess what i meant was

Is what is said in that thread apply to the Fascinate as well, like as in Samsung doing it combined with Froyo hoping for a late September launch.

Not me looking for a ROM to do myself.

Upvote 0
I spent about 45min with the fascinate in my local VZW store today & as I have said in a couple other threads the GPS had no issues at all. Sats locked faster than my eris & GPS Test reports accuracy to 100 feet, thats eleven feet better than my eris reported standing in the exact same spot inside the store. GPS also stated that there were 10 stas available for use on both my eris & the fascinate & reported 4 of the sats actually being used on my eris compared to 6 sats being used on the Fascinate. GPS problems were non existant as the sats stayed locked the entire time I was using the phone. I know 45min is not a long period of time but it was good enough for me to plop down the dough for this bad boy, should have it by 3p tomorrow! Oh and the GPU rocks!!! "Played Need for Speed Shift" half the time I was in the store & it was smooth as silk!!

Yes but for every post like yours there are still 100 posts or reviews that say otherwise. I don't doubt that it locked on, but you didn't have it out driving on the roads, etc. The GPS is the ONE THING keeping me on the sideline from buying this phone. I've been waaaaaaaaaaaiting forever for it... and now that it's finally here, I'm stuck waiting again because one of its main functions for me either doesn't work, or only works sometimes, and even then it may not work very good.

Upvote 0
So your going off of 100 posts and probably over half of the posters have not even had hands on with the phone? A simple suggestion from me to you would be go on down to your local store and try the phone your self rather than taking my positive word or someone elses negative word. Or simply purchase the phone and if you dont like it return it before 30 days do to faulty hardware ie GPS doesnt work rather than you dont like the phone & avoid any restocking fee.

Upvote 0
So your going off of 100 posts and probably over half of the posters have not even had hands on with the phone? A simple suggestion from me to you would be go on down to your local store and try the phone your self rather than taking my positive word or someone elses negative word. Or simply purchase the phone and if you dont like it return it before 30 days do to faulty hardware ie GPS doesnt work rather than you dont like the phone & avoid any restocking fee.

I said posts or reviews, not just posts.

And people said the same thing about the Epic4G, that its GPS was fixed or worked better, it's not fixed and a lot of its owners are having problems with it. Multiple people on this board have had the same hands on time with it that you did that said it didn't work properly. There have been videos showing the same thing as well.

I'm not arguing, and don't deny the fact that it may have connected properly while you were in the store, but that could have been by coincidence. And what if you buy the thing and then get on the road and start moving and it freaks out on you or quits working completely (GPS that is).

I guess to sum it up, it just seems like there is ALOT more evidence suggesting that it isn't fixed vs it actually working.

Upvote 0
Where are there 100's of legitimate reviews of the Fascinate indicating definite GPS problems? Of the reviews that actually touch on the issue, seems like about 1/2 indicate there may be a problem, the others indicate it worked fine. Plus, we've got a couple of people here who have had the phone for a couple of weeks and said it was just fine. One even is giving up his Droid for the Fasc. I think the reviews and posts indicate there are some problems, but the evidence is far from 99 out of 100.

All that said, there isn't any Fascinate actually out and working in the real world, aside from a couple early release test models. We can't say there is or isn't a problem at this point -- the phone isn't even out yet! Some, including PeepingTom, seem to be seeking a definitive answer to the GPS question, and there can be no answer until some phones get out on the market.

I'd say, wait until there are a few phones out in the real world, with the GPS settings applied properly, and see what happens. I'll have my phone by 3:00 tomorrow afternoon, and I'll have it up and running tomorrow evening for sure. I'll certainly let you know my real-world experiences as soon as I have any. Or, just buy the phone if you want it and see how it works and if the pros outweigh the cons. After all, there is a 30 day return window for a reason. If there are GPS issues that I can't overlook, I'll be heading over to the DX camp.

Upvote 0
Where are there 100's of legitimate reviews of the Fascinate indicating definite GPS problems? Of the reviews that actually touch on the issue, seems like about 1/2 indicate there may be a problem, the others indicate it worked fine. Plus, we've got a couple of people here who have had the phone for a couple of weeks and said it was just fine. One even is giving up his Droid for the Fasc. I think the reviews and posts indicate there are some problems, but the evidence is far from 99 out of 100.

All that said, there isn't any Fascinate actually out and working in the real world, aside from a couple early release test models. We can't say there is or isn't a problem at this point -- the phone isn't even out yet! Some, including PeepingTom, seem to be seeking a definitive answer to the GPS question, and there can be no answer until some phones get out on the market.

I'd say, wait until there are a few phones out in the real world, with the GPS settings applied properly, and see what happens. I'll have my phone by 3:00 tomorrow afternoon, and I'll have it up and running tomorrow evening for sure. I'll certainly let you know my real-world experiences as soon as I have any. Or, just buy the phone if you want it and see how it works and if the pros outweigh the cons. After all, there is a 30 day return window for a reason. If there are GPS issues that I can't overlook, I'll be heading over to the DX camp.

I said posts and reviews... meaning the combination of the two
Also i was obviously exaggerating the numbers a bit
Still it doesn't change the fact that the majority of the people who have used it in the past few days say the GPS is NOT FIXED.

Do you honestly think that from the time the Epic was released until now that these phones would be fixed? Lets get real. And if it was, why wouldn't they be fixing any of the other models? Also the Captivate and Vibrant have been out longer than the Epic and soon to be Fascinate, why wouldn't they also be fixing these if there is a fix instead of waiting until later after people have already started taking the things back in order to get a different phone that works right?

I promise you, that GPS isn't fixed. Will it be as bad as the captivate and the vibrant? I do not know that. But i guarantee you until the official fix release it wont be that good even when it does work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones