• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you buy a phone that cant be rooted?

Is rooting important to you when selecting a phone?

• Yes

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Depends (Comment Below)

Votes: 7 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would like to add my 2 cents to the discussion. I have been lurking on the site since talk of the evo and incredible. I don't have a phone yet, (2 more weeks until I can get rod of the P.O.S LG Dare, lol), but one thing I've learned from reading and my own experience with my dare is that manufacturers are quick to abandon tech.

So having root and to a more extent, an unlocked bootloader, should be something to be aware of when thinking about your next purchase. I know that sounds 'techie' and your average buyer won't even be aware of these options, but a little research into your potential purchase can lead you to many places of knowledge. My research lead me here. I've seen a lot of guys post ''get a phone that suits your purpose" I agree to a certain point. It's also true that a phone that suits your purpose now, may be left in the dust a few scant months from purchase because the manufacture has moved on to the next thing.

Thus my long winded journey returns full circle to "Yes root is something important when choosing your next android phone" :D

Upvote 0
23 people don't know how to root.

Reason is probably different question in title and in poll.
I almost click "no" cause I read question in title only, then I read real poll question and I chose "yes". People click answers automatic, without reading and thats the reason probably.

Member who started this thread should know how creating a poll works. Same title and poll question is better.

Upvote 0
Well, just a little comment to the OP. Please, differentiate between rooting and custom ROMs. These are 2 very separate things, not connected to each other.

Take the G2 for example. You can achieve soft root until the next reboot, which means all apps needing root rights will work - MarketEnabler, PicMe and others. Is this kind of root enough for apps ? Hell yeah.

Now there is the "G2 rooting" thread on xda-developers - but that one is not about rooting anymore, we all know how to root the device. Right now that thread is about getting permanent root and getting around the reflashing feature of the phone. This is not rooting, this is getting around the security feature they have in the phone, which allows you to get permanent root and/or custom ROMs.

So G2 is rootable phone, like any other. The issue is that it is only a temporary (soft) root, so you must root your phone on every reboot (which is exactly what i do on my Milestone now).

AFAIK there is no android phone which is unrootable, each and every one of them is rootable. Yes, some only have soft root only (gone after reboot), but they are all rootable.

Flashing is a different issue, that's why i would never buy Motorola again (their private key solution cannot be broken except the second boot idea, but that is still not working, after nearly a year of development from the Milestone hacker guys). HTC Vision/G2/Desire Z is a different thing, i have no problems believing this feature can be changed/resolved. It's been just a few days since the launch, so give them some time. Hell, one we will be able to override this feature, you can use that reflash thingy as a bonus, not as a problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones