• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wow! My Desire is now running on Android 2.3.3 (Gingervillian 1.8)

I want Gingerbread in my Desire with better battery support. What should I do -
1. Install Oxygen 2.0.3 (http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/278451-oxygen-rom-impressive-battery-power.html)
2. Install Gingervillain 2.0

As currently I'm on GV 1.8, I need to follow only the following steps to install Oxygen - Am I right?
1) download you chosen ROM onto SD card
2) Do all your backups
3) Boot into recovery manually (see recovery section earlier)
From off, Hold Volume down and press Power. This boots you to the Bootloader. There is a recovery option here. You need to use volume up and down to navigate the menu, then power to select the recovery option. This then loads your custom recovery. Now you can use the track ball to navigate the recovery menu
4) Choose "wipe data / factory reset"
5) Choose "Install zip from SD card"
6) Once complete, choose "reboot system now"
Is there any special requirement for Oxygen?

Upvote 0
I'd always check the ROM thread at XDA, especially the first post or two, but there's no special requirement I know of. I ran it once for about an hour, out of curiosity, and took no special steps.

The procedure you quote looks right to me, as long as "all of your backups" includes a nandroid.

As for GV2.0 vs Oxygen, I haven't enough experience with Oxygen to guess at how battery life will compare. For GV, Richard quotes some decent current drain figures for the latest GV kernels in the XDA thread, and there are always EViollet's kernels to try. Personally I like some of the cyanogenmod tweaks, which Oxygen won't have, so will stick with GV anyway. But it's pretty straightforward to swap, so you can try both and see what works best for you.

Upvote 0
You need to find out where most of your battery goes.
Generally it's the display and mobile data, if your display is eating your battery you are a bit limited apart from don't wake the screen up so often ;)
You can disable mobile data when on wifi and disable wifi when on mobile data - I think (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong ;) ) that even when not being used the phone will keep them alive in the background waiting/looking for connections.
Also Widgets and syncing hits the battery so lose some widgets, change your syncing (or even disable auto sync and do it manually.

you can find your battery stats in menu/settings/About phone/Battery use (this is in Gingervillian but AOSP ROMs should be similar.)

It is possible to get great battery life without much use, but the more you use it (includes syncing) the less the battery lasts - as is always the case with batteries.
Don't expect to hammer the phone and the battery last forever no matter what Kernel you use.

Upvote 0
Most of the battery goes due to using Internet through EDGE. When tested 10 min of Internet caused battery drain from 100% to 90%.

After installing custom rom (Gingervillain & Oxygen) I did oid not able to do USB Tethering. Already tried with tetherxp.inf while installing driver for RNDIS

Currently WiFi tethering is possible which causes serious battery drain:(

Upvote 0
Mobile data does hammer batteries and if you are using Edge I'm guessing you don't have a good signal (I think Edge is 2.5G)
If you have a weak signal the phone will keep trying to get a better connection and try to boost the signal it has.

I use wifi mostly but notice a bigger drop in battery if I use mobile data.
2G or 2.5G on my old iPhone also use to kill the battery very fast so I think it's just smartphones in general.

Upvote 0
Currently my Desire is running on CyanogenMod-7.0.0
signal strength is better then the previous. -51dBm to -60dBm

after 23 minutes of fully charged (100%) it is 96%.

Display (62%) 9min
Voice call (32%) 2min 40sec
Cell standby (3%) 23min

[Brightness setting approx 40%, less then that seems very low brightness]

What could improve my battery life? could anybody have any more idea?

Upvote 0
Thats a very good result. Dont expect much better than that.
:(

After 5hr 29min
Battery 33%
2ms50qo.png

Display 2hr 23min
Voice call 17min
Talking tom 19min 21 sec
Browser 6min 37sec

30a5npx.png

Very disappointing result to me

Upvote 0
As per the previous post of SUroot it is clear that my Desire's screen is eating the battery :(
So, I thing it can not be optimized through any other customized ROM. Whenever the screen is on (whatever it is using, Internet/playing games) the battery discharge slope seems the same. Please share if you have any more idea! I'll try to do anything...

Anyway, I found the following battery efficient ROM through the forum.
1. Oxygen-2.0.3
2. GingerVillain-2.0
3. LeeDrOiD_V3.0.2_GB_Bravo
4. Redux-v1.1.2

Could you please rank the list according to your own judgment by prioritizing battery efficiency than other features.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones