• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Yet another google voice question

OK just tried it and here is the deal. What you are really doing is attaching phones to your Google Voice number. It will allow you to attach a land line as well as mobile. When someone calls your GV number, it rings at both places (I have mine attached to my cell and desk phones) and can be answered from either place. If not answered, the call simply goes to GV box for the message...
Pretty cool stuff! :cool:

Upvote 0
If you fwd your home phone to your google voice number will your home phone still ring?...

If people call your home number, and the home number is forward to GVoice number, then no...the calls are being forward as with any number.

...will my answering machine still be able to accept a message?

If your calls are forward to GVoice, no, unless your home service provides a supervised transfer service.

will you be able to answer from your cell or your home handset ? ...
thx Joe

If your home phone number is forward to GVoice, and GVoice has your cell number as a ring/forward number, and people call the home number, then yes, your cell phone will ring, but not the house number.

...which gretting will they get my GV or the one on my home aswering machine ?

thx Joe

Again, if calls are forward from home number to GVoice, the call will not access anything attached to the home.

The big disclaimer for all those answers is if you have the home number set as one of Gvoices ring/forward numbers. In that case, everything will work, or, it will cause a routing loop.

Upvote 0
OK just tried it and here is the deal. What you are really doing is attaching phones to your Google Voice number. It will allow you to attach a land line as well as mobile. When someone calls your GV number, it rings at both places (I have mine attached to my cell and desk phones) and can be answered from either place. If not answered, the call simply goes to GV box for the message...
Pretty cool stuff! :cool:

Yes, this is how GVoice was designed to work...its merely a call routing service, which also provides voice mail.

Upvote 0
Google Voice usually works the other way - forwarding your GV number to your home, cell, office, etc is how it works.

It can work anyway you want it...planning is the key.

However for the OP, a better solution may be to simply port the home number to the GVoice account (assuming GVoice has proven high availability), and have a new number on the home phone...if the ultimate goal is to not have to publish a new "home number", and still have it as the central contact point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones