• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Your Android L preview thoughts?

I think the way Google has implemented lockscreen notifications is a nice step-up and also the development towards a better battery stats is nice as well. The lockscreen will most likely be better in the official release.

There's a thread in n5 xda of an L preview that's actually being supported with some development: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2856934
I haven't flashed this ROM though, I'm already satisfied with the setup I have. Just thought someone might be curious on finding a L preview daily driver.

Upvote 0
There were many bugs in the developer preview as it was a work in progress. Its really for devs to make sure their apps are compatible.

We should be seeing the nexus 6/Official L drop any day (week?) now. So its only a matter of time until we see what progress has been made since the L preview was released back in June.

As for my overall impressions of running it - I really like the direction android is heading. Are things perfect? No, but overall its a step in the right direction :)

Upvote 0
There were many bugs in the developer preview as it was a work in progress. Its really for devs to make sure their apps are compatible.

We should be seeing the nexus 6/Official L drop any day (week?) now. So its only a matter of time until we see what progress has been made since the L preview was released back in June.

As for my overall impressions of running it - I really like the direction android is heading. Are things perfect? No, but overall its a step in the right direction :)
Yeah, I'm pumped to see what the Nexus 6 looks like, I hear 5.9in screen o.o...thats a phablet haha, yeah any day/week now. :D I mean well..the material design is great, I really like it, bummed out about them removing Gallery :L

Upvote 0
I ran android L, rooted with the Code Blue kernel for about 2 weeks. For me it ran great.. It was different and pretty cool to experience the next step forward in android, but I missed my Dirty Unicorns ROM. ;)
As stated above there were some small bugs and actually for a preview it ran very well... That could of been partially due to Code Blue Kernel also.
I did also miss the Gallery APK, so I installed the OnePlus One CM11S gallery APK and it ran just fine and I actually like the OnePlus One Gallery.
If your still running the Android L preview you could try out the APK from here - http://androidforums.com/nexus-5-all-things-root/847689-oneplus-one-cm-11s-camera-gallery-apk.html

It is different than the normal Gallery, but I think you would like it has a nice UI, easy to use and all around its pretty nice... I actually still have it installed next to my regular Gallery.

Upvote 0
I ran android L, rooted with the Code Blue kernel for about 2 weeks. For me it ran great.. It was different and pretty cool to experience the next step forward in android, but I missed my Dirty Unicorns ROM. ;)
As stated above there were some small bugs and actually for a preview it ran very well... That could of been partially due to Code Blue Kernel also.
I did also miss the Gallery APK, so I installed the OnePlus One CM11S gallery APK and it ran just fine and I actually like the OnePlus One Gallery.
If your still running the Android L preview you could try out the APK from here - http://androidforums.com/nexus-5-all-things-root/847689-oneplus-one-cm-11s-camera-gallery-apk.html

It is different than the normal Gallery, but I think you would like it has a nice UI, easy to use and all around its pretty nice... I actually still have it installed next to my regular Gallery.

I'm waiting for the Official release :) read it might be late for the nexus 4, 5 and 7 (LTE Version)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones