• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Z Force Advice, Please.

dhbuckley

Aug 29, 2010
Due to an unexpected screen smashing experience suffered by my trusty 1st gen Turbo (most reliable phone I've ever had), I am going to get a Moto Z Force and have a few questions.

1. Verizon is CDMA of course but I believe the phones are either "unlocked" or will be upon request...? I want to be able to use the phone overseas as easily as possible which means GSM. I guess this means what radios/bands does the Verizon Droid Z Force support as compared to the "unlocked" devices available on EBay, Swappa, etc??

2. "Unlocked" devices are sold on EBay, Swappa, etc.; how does this "unlocked" differ from VZW "unlocked"? If you "unlock" the VZW version is it equivalent to the non-VZW device?

3. If getting the VZW version, there is a BestBuy promo which offers $20/mo. device payment, ($480 total) but unclear whether there are other better options: included mods, lowered fees, etc..

4. Battery mod recommendations and do any cases fit when using one?

5. 64gb version seems impossible to find in black. Is there any difference in speed or ease when using a storage card? I could just go 32gb and add a 64gb card. Recommendations for fastest/cheapest cards?

6. Some phones are sold by 3rd parties, EBay, etc., without a sim card. Can I use the sim card from my Turbo and if not, what kind and how to obtain?

Many thanks to you all for adding the human element, still apparently available here, even with all the ads!

David

Last edited:
1. 2. All Verizon phones with LTE (which is now all Verizon phones) are unlocked (which means that you can swap a non-Verizon SIM card into the phone.) All Verizon phones these days are LTE, so they are all unlocked. There is nothing to unlock. In other words, there is no such thing as a locked Verizon phone.

The phone will work overseas, yes. You can get an international plan from Verizon that is pretty pricey, or you can buy a SIM card when you are overseas (though you will have a different number so won't get Verizon calls or maybe texts, though I think that Verizon Messages+ can deliver SMS over mobile data - not sure about that.) It will have all of the GSM bands that you need to work as a phone. From the Moto web site, these are the bands:

CDMA (850, 1900 MHz)
GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13)

You'd have to check where you are traveling to see if the LTE bands match, but you could still get HSPA+ for mobile data, which can be pretty fast.

6. I believe that Verizon will allow you to bring a phone onto their network by putting in a Verizon SIM that is active on the network, but in reality the phone must support Verizon's CDMA and LTE bands to be usable. If it doesn't have CDMA, but does have LTE, it *may* work with Advanced Calling, but only when you have LTE coverage. Even then - it may not. You're safest buying a phone definitively designed to work on Verizon.

Buying advice? Buy the phone that meets your needs. None of us are you. One idea, though, is to buy a cheap GSM unlocked phone for foreign travels, if you really will be overseas a lot. Amazon sells some inexpensive unlocked cell phones, like the Moto E.

Reactions: dhbuckley
Upvote 0
Thanks as always for your well-considered advice. I bought the phone and I love it but for a few things.

It is really fast and great screen; dislike USB C and the lack of jack/need for adapters to use headphones and older chargers. Any experience with older chargers (like the turbo charger from Turbo) working well w/ available (not included like the Sammy's!) adapters?

Amazed that huge battery doesn't really power through the day and night like my Turbo and even my Maxx did -- wonder if it is just a hungrier OS or 4Gb ram or bad settings on my part? GSam can't see individual apps usage without a semi-hack which I need a cable to do.

Ordered Incipio mod (lower power but wireless) with a bumper -- wish there was a real case that would cover phone + mod.

Best,

David

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones