• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Zika virus...

dan330

Extreme Android User
Jan 22, 2010
last year it was Ebola
this year it is the Zika Virus... and it is scary.

in usa there are 591 reported infected cases. most from traveling over seas.
2 new babies with it.. Hawaii and New Jersey.

all the reports make it sound so scary... but they don't tell you .. one thing I really wanted to know.
is it like the cold virus.. once you have it .. it is in your body for life.
even sites that lists important things to know about Zika don't tell you...

had to do a quick search online
finally found this site:
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/zika-virus-article-1.2630660

finally got what I wanted to really know.
the virus only last about a week in your body.. and then it is gone!
no lasting effects.... so once you are over the sickness.. no fear of pregnancy!!!

no fear of pregnancy!!!

I don't think there's much chance of me getting pregnant. :p ;)

It's the media's job to make the daily molehill story into a mountain. It's the pharmaceutical company's job to make us think that any sniffle is death looking over our shoulder.

Not really. Once you have a cold virus, you maintain the antibodies for 7 - 10 years so you don't get reinfected, but a virus is a rather fragile organism and for the most part is killed by even small fluctuations in temperature (which is why you have a fever when sick.) In the case of Zika, they think it is a once and done deal.

I've read the CDC Report on Zika and other than the threat to pregnant women (more like their fetuses) , it seems like a rather low risk disease.

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
Zika virus... hmm never heard of it before this.

Hmm I wonder why they focus on only 591 reported cases seems very minor to me. Doesn't sound like it's that extreme or serious.

Interesting... and can be sexually transmitted... this seems to be the worst part and pregnancy to boot... kind of like thalidomide and mutated children...

Hmmmm... the best thing to do is educate and inform people of the dangers of having any children... but to foam at the mouth and freak out... not clever.

Only one person has died so far and that was from internal bleeding. Well I would say - if you are looking at having children be concerned.

There are too many mouth foamers these days hey?

Upvote 0
I'd be afraid of being run over by a bus, but I'm not afraid of seeing one on the road.

:D

Epic response Loony xD

Yes it's good to be aware of something but it's annoying how these news reporters seem to make or try to get everyone dillied up and make something blown out of proportion than just try to calmly deal with it.

Maybe I am just being too logical and not emotional enough but that's how I see it.

Upvote 0
Maybe I am just being too logical and not emotional enough ...

Someone should make it into a religion. :D

Seriously there are so many things that can be dangerous but don't end up killing you. Just this morning the local news reported a black bear roaming around here. That doesn't mean I'm going to go out looking for it, nor does it mean I have to lock myself in my house until all bears are relocated to Montana.

On my way to work today I drove over several bridges that if I jumped off of them I could die. I didn't jump off any of them. Statistically I have a better chance of being killed by my salad. Oddly, I'm not afraid of salad.

Upvote 0
I don't think there's much chance of me getting pregnant. :p ;)

It's the media's job to make the daily molehill story into a mountain. It's the pharmaceutical company's job to make us think that any sniffle is death looking over our shoulder.
And who benefits the most from all of the propaganda about the virus? Answer: the health care industry. This can be viewed as another means to make more profits, because the media portrays misinformation as cold, hard facts. And unfortunately, society in general falls for it every time.

Upvote 0
Calm down there, man. you're going to give yourself myocardial implosion syndrome with bipolar anxiety disorder. You better get yourself to a doctor (provided you have current and adequate insurance coverage) so they can charge for the office visit minus the copay and then prescribe a partially effective medical cocktail of pharmaceuticals (as well as an additional round of prescriptions to counter the side effects and long term damage from all those chemicals.

Or ... you can come over to my place and we'll sit on the porch with a $2 beer and chill. I promise not to ask for your insurance card. ;)

Upvote 0
Not really. Once you have a cold virus, you maintain the antibodies for 7 - 10 years so you don't get reinfected, but a virus is a rather fragile organism and for the most part is killed by even small fluctuations in temperature (which is why you have a fever when sick.) In the case of Zika, they think it is a once and done deal.

Viral immunity can be tricky, however. Viruses mutate at crazily high rates compared to bacteria or animals. And the cold virus, flu virus and zikka virus all belong to the most mutation prone form of all. What this means it that, by the time you re-encounter them, your previous antibodies are unlikely to recognise the virus. That's why you get so many colds, and why you need a new flu vaccine every year to combat new strains. Fortunately, whilst there are multiple strains of zikka, only one seems to be spreading in the epidemic, so immunity is useful.

Like Luna said, the common cold virus doesn't hang around in the body. But you're right that some do. The Herpes simplex virus, which causes cold sores and... other illnesses, does stick around permanently in your nerve cells in a (usually) dormant state, for example.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones