• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Zip vs IMG file extensions

I have a LG Optimus V and have rooted it. I've tried several different ROM's using ROM Manager Pro. I have downloaded a ROM that is a IMG extention. ROM Manager doesn't seem to see it. Is there a major difference between the .ZIP extention for some ROM's and .IMG for others? And how do you flash an IMG file?

Any help would be appreciated.:)

I have a LG Optimus V and have rooted it. I've tried several different ROM's using ROM Manager Pro. I have downloaded a ROM that is a IMG extention. ROM Manager doesn't seem to see it. Is there a major difference between the .ZIP extention for some ROM's and .IMG for others? And how do you flash an IMG file?

Any help would be appreciated.:)
.img files are for flashing with flash_image in terminal or adb shell, and also can be flashed with the fastboot tool as long as you have access to the bootloader (my new 2.2.2 zv5 baseband OV does not have access to the bootloader.)
you can also flash .img files in recovery, but they have to look like a backup (be in the right folder and have a nandroid.md5 file made to fit)

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones