• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE Speed (n9130) Developer Mode

Well, I found something for all the suckers like myself that find themselves in the unenviable position of owning a crappy, unrootable, ZTE Speed. I'll call it an "easter egg" for lack of a better word. It is Developer Mode, and it won't root your phone, but maybe it will make you feel special. To enable it, go to Settings, and scroll down to and select About Phone. Then scroll down to SW Version and start tapping it. After about the sixth or eighth time you tap it the phone will congratulate you on being a Developer. Now in the setting menu under System you will find a new menu item, "Developer Options". You'll have to do a factory reset to make it go away, but you can turn them off from within the Dev. menu Anyway, don't you feel special? I sure as crap don't.

Runtime Option: now you can select from Dalvik runtime or ART. This is experimental at present, but is being developed by Google. Currently, under dalvik runtime, code used to run apps is compiled on an as needed basis, meaning the Android OS compiles code needed to execute apps when you start the app. The result of this is that apps tend to start somewhat slow as needed code is generated. ART, on the other hand, compiles all the necessary code during an apps installation. So, while apps tend to start more quickly, they tend to take longer to install. Another benefit of ART is that it doesn't require as much effort by the CPU to run apps, increases RAM write speeds, and increases storage write speeds. However, since it is still in development, ART can also cause certain apps to become unstable. For the adventurous, I guess you can try it, but I'm leaving it alone. Just some info for the curious.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones