• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 16gb SD card crapped out today = Horriable customer service!!! But happy ending

This morning at work I received a text about 9am. Held onto the phone walked to an appropirate place to read text (10sec away). Looked back at my phone and it had reset and was booting back up.

Weird never done this before.

Boots back up and I notice in the notification bar that there is a little emblem I don't recognize. Its a pic of a micro sd card with some orange or yellow emblem over it. Whats that???
Pull down the notif bar and check it out. Says sd card is unmounted and something about bad system files..HUH??

So I mess with it for a couple of minuites couldnt figure out what happened. Ended up shutting off phone until about 3pm.
Well off to the verizon store I go. Spend 1 hour waiting and letting them mess with my droid x.
Brings it back says
"you lost all your data on the card and its good to go but you phone is running slow I recommend you download task killer and run it all the time"

I take one look at my phone and see that same emblem in the notify bar and I ask well what is this then. He says well
"its still there cause we cant legaly formart your card"
So I go ahead and format it in front of him and it does nothing. I ask it this spose to say here...back he goes to the back room to mess with it more.
20 mins later, "we think your sd card might have went bad"
I ask if there is any in stock and if they can just swap them out.
"Let me talk to my manager and see what we can do"
10 mins later he asks me to step up to the computer so we can get things moving. I'm thinking cool they have one in stock.
"ok here is the number for the scandisk card that came with your phone, you will have to call and go through there warranty to get a new one"
HUH??? I have had my droid x for exactly 7 days today, and you want me to call scandisk for warranty work. I am starting to get very upset now. He says well I can call them for you. Now I'm thinking, no way I want a new card and I want it now, or over night shipped to my house.
I tell them just that. He says
"o we dont even have any in stock and turns to the rep beside him and asks him and the guy is like That is a big card havent even see one that size in a long time"

Get the F*%k out of here its 2010 and this is a nice new store that always has alot of customers there. Havent seen a 16gb card in a long time YEA RIGHT!!

So as he is looking up the scandisk # that I went ahead and told him to call for me. I call 611 from my phone and tell them the situation. They place me on hold to look something up and I just walk out the store to my car and leave while on hold with 611.
Spoke to them for about 10mins I ended up asking for her manager and she transferred me back to the store that I had just left??!!?? I had told her what store I was closest to me for a inventory check.
I ended up talking to a guy at first he gave me the run around about how the warranty works for the cards. I ask well what about your 30 day worry free warranty and ask for his manager. Talked to his manager (at the store I just left) and she understood and asked me my problem and what I wanted done. I asked her if there was any 16gb cards in stock there she said 1 I said great I would like exchange my faulty card for that one.
She said come in and we will get you all set up.

Omg!!! Finally after 2hrs of wasting my time I get a new card and good service. I asked her why wasnt all this mess avoided my just having the first service rep that helped me and knew my card was faulty just swap it out. She said that there really is a warranty procedure for the cards that you must go through bla bla bla and that she was making this one exception.
I wanted to say something to the sales reps that said that they didn't have any in stock, but didnt.

Geez what a day what a day I need a beer.

I'm just glad they took care of it even though it was a big run around.

Is the 16gb scandisk card they gave me from the store better then the 16gb no name card that came stock in my dx?

Some phones (like mine) came with a 16GB SanDisk Class 2 while others came with a 16GB no-name Japanese-sourced Class 4. Benchmarks showed that there's little-to-no performance difference between the two.

Upvote 0
Well the 30 day worry free guarantee has nothing to do with the card i mean say your phone went bad and they didnt have any in stock and would have to ship you one would you bitch and complain about that to? Just saying

Yes if my phone broke in 7 days from new and they had it in stock at the store then yes i would "bitch and complain".
I am now putting a vodoo curse on your droid x....hav a nice day

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones