• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1/2.2 performance. Droid user helping friend

growler13

Apr 21, 2010
My friend just got a second hand mytouch and I'm bored modding my Droid so I thought I'd tinker with his. I just had some simple questions so hopefully I can save some time and not have to restore backups

First question: I wanna but Froyo on his phone now that the source code has been released and cyan is working on a custom rom. I assume Rom Manager works on the mytouch once rooted

Second Q: Hows the performance of 2.1 compare to 1.6? Is there any noticeable lag or does it handle it well. I'm not to familiar with the specs of this phone so I'm just wondering if it'll be too much. If it can handle 2.1 its a reasonable assumption that 2.2 will do fine

Third Q (kinda): I assume if rom manager will work Clockwork recovery will work too? Titanium backup too?

Fourth Q: Don't know what the kernel scene looks like for this phone, any good recommendations that work with Cyan

Fifth Q: Can this phone be overclocked, if so about how much. My friend is still really overwhelmed with this phone and isn't very tech savvy so I don't want something that'll overheat and than have him figure out SetCPU and profiles.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers, I'm off to figure out root for this phone. Hope you guys get froyo soon, its pretty nice

*Edit*
Guess this should have been in the root section. If a kind mod would mind moving it that'd be great

1. Have no idea about Rom Manager, but I don't know why it wouldn't.

2. 2.1 (CM 5.0.7/8) is almost exactly as fast (Linpack numbers-wise) as 1.6 (4.2.15). To the non-calibriated eye it seemed the same. SetCPU got me a little more speed.

3. Clockwork and Titanium both work. CW is actually recommended by Cyanogen, but I've stuck with Amon-Ra.

4. I usually stick with the kernel that came with the rom, but there's a guy named Pershoot on XDA who tweaks kernels for CM.

5. Max speed in SetCPU is 576. CM is already set to 528. The increase is just barely noticable, but it's there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones