• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 Bugs and Questions - Post em here

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just speculation about the gallery image quality thing, but with the change in behavior of how the gallery works, I imagine they are running the pix through a 3d interface (meaning using the adv features of the graphics chip) versus doing everything through a 2d interface as it most likely was before. This would allow the on the fly scaling changes during zooming and would change the appearance some. On PC's this normally makes pix look better but depending on the ability of the graphics system of the phone and how well it was written would effect the display now.

Or I could be totally off my rocker.

Upvote 0
Here's a weird, arcane error I never had before 2.1:

In the system calendar, let's say I make an appointment and fill in the Event Location box with a location and save it. Fine. It saves and the home screen calendar widget shows the event and the location.

But if I go back into that appointment to edit it and completely delete the location in the Event Location box, then save it, the old location still shows up on both the appointment and on the home screen widget. It doesn't erase it.

However, if I go back and delete all but one letter of the location, and save it, that change is reflected in both the appointment and widget. But if I edit the appointment and delete that last letter of the location and save, that last letter remains in the appointment and on the widget.

It's like, if you once have something entered in that field, you have to keep something in that field. This never happened with 2.0.1.

Upvote 0
I received the 2.1 update for my Droid yesterday. Everything works fine except I noticed a difference between 2.0.1 and 2.1 when playing back a video (mpeg4) that is recorded at 720 x 480 pixel resolution. I am not 100% sure of this, but I believe that prior to the 2.1 update, when playing back these videos (highest resolution for the Droid), the picture used to fill up the entire screen. Now, under 2.1 there is a black border around the image (all sides) and the image is smaller. I seem to recall thinking how beautiful these videos looked and now I am kind of disappointed. Has anyone else run into this under 2.1 or am I mistaken about how it was in the older releases?

Upvote 0
My Droid arrived in the mail yesterday. As soon as my gmail accounts were sat up, the 2.1 update came.

I, like many of you are experiencing the gmail push issue. I will only get the notification when I manually refresh my inbox from the "gmail" shortcut icon after selecting the apporiate gmail account (I have 3).

This has been very bothersome and a big turn off. I upgraded to Droid knowing that gmail is suppose to be instant push, but maybe this is a bug with 2.1... who knows. I hope a fix come soon.

Upvote 0
Problem with Gallery -

I noticed that sometimes recent photos do not show up in the gallery. They are on the phone in the camera preview but they don't update to the gallery right away. I have managed to some how force them to show up but I had to go to Estrong file Explorer to find the photos which happen to be in the standard gallery location under DCIM. after going into Estrong they appeared the next time in the gallery.....what the heck.

Also noticed that photos are now being geo tagged.

I noticed this same problem on day 1 from my OTA update. I did notice that if you take a new picture and go straight to the gallery, its not there. However, if you take the picture >> go to the camera gallery where you actually view the photo you just took, it will now show up in the gallery for some odd reason. I tried this with another friend's Droid (2.1 of course) and same results. Not really sure why this is, but it is a little annoying.
I don't know if this helps but I figured I'd share my findings.

Upvote 0
I asked the same question a bunch of times and have never been able to get a response.

Guys, the answer to this has been posted many times in many threads for weeks now...

No, the version of 2.1 for the Droid will not had a 3D app tray. It is not a bug. It was never promised to us and was omitted intentionally.

Upvote 0
I didn't see where this was posted but since the 2.1 upgrade, I have random apps showing as open in advanced task killer that never opened pre 2.1. I mean like voice dialer, amazon MP3 store(never even opened that one), among other I very rarely use.

After I received the OTA to 2.1 I have noticed more lag when scrolling between home screens, using 2D games is painful with the framerate reduction, and many items that are running in the background without me ever starting them. I also cannot seem to keep them closed either. I can also say that I am getting worse battery life now than I was with 2.0.1. I was wondering what would actually happen if I rebooted into Recovery Mode and did a Factory Reset with Data Wipe. Would this possibly help with the update causing these problems that were not there before? Thanks for any help with this.

Upvote 0
I noticed this same problem on day 1 from my OTA update. I did notice that if you take a new picture and go straight to the gallery, its not there. However, if you take the picture >> go to the camera gallery where you actually view the photo you just took, it will now show up in the gallery for some odd reason. I tried this with another friend's Droid (2.1 of course) and same results. Not really sure why this is, but it is a little annoying.
I don't know if this helps but I figured I'd share my findings.

Me too.

Upvote 0
I did the manual update when the zip file came out. my firmware version is now listed as 2.1-update1...

Is this what everyone else has? And does this mean a 2.1-update2 is in the works?

other details:

baseband verion: C_01.3E.03P
Kernel version: 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@ apa26 #1
Build number: ESE81

All this jive with you guys?

Thanks

That's mine too. I hope update2 is right around the corner...lol

Upvote 0
What's up guys, first I'd like to apologize for my first post to be a negative post, I've been lurking for months just reading on the info here...good stuff, you all have been all kinds of help.

OK, I've had my Droid since Feb and it has been the best thing since sliced bread and birth control. However, since the day I downloaded 2.1 my phone, as well as others around me, has gone to hell in a hand basket.
1) Pandora is absolute garbage now. Me, my girlfriend, my assistant, and 2 of my employees are having major issues with it. It wont play for extended amounts of time without locking up or force closing everytime we get a call

2) I'm running HANDSENTSMS and it as slow as a snail. I've finish typing this before it has even printed the second half of my sentence I'm typing now. Wasn't a problem before.

3) for absolutely no reason all my text threads got deleted last night while the phone was sitting on my coffee table.

4) my live wallpapers go away and my background goes back to the pic I had before the update.

This 2.1was over dramatized, over embellished and over hyped. The only good thing that has come of it is the pinch to zoom, and I can live without that. Is there anyway to go back to 2.0???

Upvote 0
Hmmm...My phone is stock.

The one thing that kept irritating me is the news/weather app and beautiful widgets would keep saying I'm somewhere in Africa. I'm like WTF!!!! Uninstall and reinstall of BW seemed to help along with settings. I hate the google goggles app along with the news/weather app. Phone is laggy somewhat. Still have some of the issues I had before the update and seriously thinking about a new phone, but don't want to deal with refurb...etc...

These two apps that were forced on us alone is enough to make me want to venture out and root my damn phone. I'll have to study.

Upvote 0
Live wallpapers make the sliding app menu jittery when scrolled while using live wallpapers. I turned the live wallpaper off and things returned to normal. I am assuming the processing hog live wallpapers adversely affect video response on the Droids right now with this new update. I am about TOTALLY disgusted with the lame and pathetic exclusion, once again, of fixing this Bluetooth voice dialing issue in 2.1 on what is supposed to be one of the most advanced phones in the world! I was using a cheap piece of crap W755 flip before getting the Droid and the bluetooth voice dialing worked like a charm!

Upvote 0
Oh, I almost forgot, the one other thing that burns my backside is the camera functionality, the system limits shutter response and autofocus to unchangeable slow response times. Some apps improve this a smidge, but not much, all of the app developers that I have questioned unanimously agree that the OS is controlling and limiting improving the camera hardware performance. Vignette takes the best photos, but way too slow shutter response and autofocus just like the other apps, and the stock camera app is just garbage, I would uninstall it if I could.

Upvote 0
I got my 2.1 update back on easter sunday, i have to say its been great, love the live wallpapers, but the trouble i have been having is that once in awhile my live wallpaper will disappear and go back to one of my pictures that I had on there before, i thought this was weird, didn't know if i had something set wrong or this an issue with the new update, just wondering if anyone else has had problem..

Upvote 0
I got my 2.1 update back on easter sunday, i have to say its been great, love the live wallpapers, but the trouble i have been having is that once in awhile my live wallpaper will disappear and go back to one of my pictures that I had on there before, i thought this was weird, didn't know if i had something set wrong or this an issue with the new update, just wondering if anyone else has had problem..
Do you use a task killer?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones