• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 Hero upgrades ... what does it include?

I use the program "super" to convert my videos. What program/settings are you using?

I notice that with some mp4's, theres enough lag that eventually the picture and audio don't match up which is a little dissapointing.

320x480 works well for me... You sure your converting it properly?

also windows mobile 6 = 65k limit but phones such as the Omnia have a 16million screen ... Windows 7 now dos not have a limit.. so fotware (firmware) can sort this issue out as many hardware providers have bigger, better quality screens on there devices even if the OS does not allow it.

To think my N95 8GB 4 years back had 16mill screen and a 5MP camera.. wow.

Upvote 0
I use the program "super" to convert my videos. What program/settings are you using?

I notice that with some mp4's, there's enough lag that eventually the picture and audio don't match up which is a little disappointing.

Really? Lagg? I have never ever experianced any stuttering with Video playback. I've watched 100's and 100's of episodes of series on my phone as well as Films and never had playback issues...

I have to convert it yes (which as others have mentioned is annoying) but my i7 does that in a few minutes if that... so not a big problem...

DVDVIDEOSOFT is what I use...there's a whole package... been using this prog. for years... since the N95 days / HP iPaq...

My audio / video are always in sync.

Setting:-

iPhone Standard Quality (H264, 24 fps, 480x320, 1.3MBit; AAC - 128KBit)

Upvote 0
Just done some trawling and found this snippet........

Android 2.1 dated for HTC Hero
Ben Woods

The UK HTC Hero Android 2.1 update has been dated for April 16 on Orange and T-Mobile

Published on Mar 23, 2010

A worldwide roll-out of Android 2.1 will get under way for HTC Hero handsets, beginning next month, according to online reports.

The first to receive the upgrade will be Greece, Russia, Ukraine, Saudi Arabia, and Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) starting 2nd April.

Next up is the UK's T-Mobile and Orange networks which will begin distributing the new software on the 16th April. UK customers on the 3 network will have to wait until the 22nd April, according to the schedule posted over on the XDA Developers forum.

Select French, German, and South African networks will also roll-out between the 16th and 22nd April. Belgium and Turkey will reportedly offer it from the 4th May, whilst customers in Poland, Hungary and Macedonia will have to wait until the 10th May.

Meanwhile, the HTC Legend is set to be let loose on the mobile buying public but the availability of a 2.1-powered Hero may well be enough to tempt potential customers away from the Legend, particularly if its wearing a significantly smaller price tag. Android 2.1 dated for HTC Hero - News - Know Your Mobile

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
I don't understand them either. HTC needs to slow down on the raw amount of phones they are introducing. I just got my hero 3 months ago now I'm almost worried ill be forgotten about amidst all the new constantly evolving handsets from them.

+1 on this.
I've not long since got my new Hero (SIM went live on Feb 2nd) and already there are a set of new phones coming out. At this rate the Hero will be a dinosaur.

Looking forward to the new 2.1 release whenever it appears (on 3UK contract), but I have to admit I am looking rather longingly at the HTC Dream etc. I know they have to move with the times else get left behind, but phones are now being updated faster than computers, and they were bad enough.

Upvote 0
You do realise that the Hero has been on the UK market since July last year? ;)

Yep, but they shouldn't be allowed to take that into account :D
Just joking, but still, it's not even a year old and it's practically obsolete.
Like I mentioned computers never used to degrade this quick, but I suppose it's business after all.

Hopefully the 2.1 release, whenever that will be, will breath some new life into the old dog yet and bring more people onto it. Or is that what they are afraid of? I mean the Hero, like you said, has been around a while and thus all the kinks are more or less ironed out. The new phones will have ALL this to go through again.

Still loving my Hero though :p

Upvote 0
Personally 2.1 will breathe new life into the Hero. It will allow us to gain access to more Apps and Games.

Most people who adopted the Hero would have took out a contract last July or August. Networks usually let you upgrade early so most people will get an upgrade this November unless you got conned into a 24 month contract.

By this time there will be a new wave of phones with faster processors better cameras more onboard memory.

It the way of an evolving speed in Technology.

I'll just be happy to have 2.1 on my Hero until my upgrade is due in November then I can pick my new Android phone.

Most phones are obsolete after 12 months unless its an iPhone which we don't really care about anyway.

The Hero was the birth of all future HTC devices.

Things can only get better....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones