• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.1 Leak Root or rollback status?

Not a Joke or troll....Was not taking in shots at anyone the roms that are out are nice but with most devs getting burnt and stopping development. Luckily while I dont have root my wifes phone does so I have gotten to play with pretty much all of the roms for the eris. Maybe it will get more popular I just dont see it with new phones coming out but to me it always seemed like the eris was the red headed stepchild of the android community anyways.

But really this thing has been out for so long 1.5 was not rooted and 2.1 is not rooted maybe one of you guys are close or even accomplished but holding back for the right time I dont know. Im not challenging Jcase I think if this thing was going to be rooted you would be in on it I just thought you were done with the eris.

Who cares when I joined I have been reading this forum since December when I bought my Eris. The root status threads were my favorite for a very long time.

Upvote 0
Not a Joke or troll....Was not taking in shots at anyone the roms that are out are nice but with most devs getting burnt and stopping development. Luckily while I dont have root my wifes phone does so I have gotten to play with pretty much all of the roms for the eris. Maybe it will get more popular I just dont see it with new phones coming out but to me it always seemed like the eris was the red headed stepchild of the android community anyways.

But really this thing has been out for so long 1.5 was not rooted and 2.1 is not rooted maybe one of you guys are close or even accomplished but holding back for the right time I dont know. Im not challenging Jcase I think if this thing was going to be rooted you would be in on it I just thought you were done with the eris.

Who cares when I joined I have been reading this forum since December when I bought my Eris. The root status threads were my favorite for a very long time.
There are people working hard on ROM's and root for 2.1 on a daily basis. They are constantly bombarded with "Where is my 2.1 root?", "No one care about rooting 2.1" etc. type threads. It's been mentioned many times, it's not the questions so much as the attitude- which does nothing to help the process.

Upvote 0
I was not trying to offend anyone really hope it didn't come off that way if more people took my attitude you wouldnt have like 6000 threads about wheres 2.1 leak root/rollback...Hell if I was a dev I would tell people I gave up just to stop constant questions and keep working behind the scenes once it happens people will be happy and well if it doesnt atleast you dont have to be bombarded.

Upvote 0
I am hopeful that the "real" ota update, when it comes, could be used to bring root to us who "leaked" (as it will resolve the version number issue that is preventing us at the moment.)

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Um what? Reason you can't flash the Root rom, is because its version number is lower than the Leaks. The OTA will have a yet higher version number (or it should) and make it impossible to flash the leak.

jcase

Upvote 0
Um what? Reason you can't flash the Root rom, is because its version number is lower than the Leaks. The OTA will have a yet higher version number (or it should) and make it impossible to flash the leak.

jcase

Maybe I was confused then... I thought I had read somewhere on XDA that (with the assumption you can flash the "real" OTA over the leak) that then it could be used to create a root-able ROM that would flash over the leak. But guess that doesn't make sense though since the version numbers of the root rom cannot be changed...

Upvote 0
wow... so is this really that dead? Or should i look elsewhere for my updates? I'm really really interested in getting root or rolling back from the leak, and i'm sure there are more like me... should i just shut up and be patient? or is there anything i can help with? i want root so bad! Thanks.

-Concerned Eris User

I think many of us are... there doesn't seem to be an exploit to get root on the Eris' software. The original root was achieved through a special development ROM that already had root that somehow made it's way out of HTC hq.

I think for us who leaked, our best hope would be if another ROM like that surfaces.

Before root was achieved, I know many devs tried all sorts of kernel exploits on 1.5. It's probably safe to assume these will not work on the 2.1 leak. So as I said, I'm hoping another dev ROM surfaces from HTC with a higher version then the current leak, which would get us root!

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response, I was just getting a little antsy, I guess. From a straight consumer perspective, there appears to be nothing going on... and I'm really afraid of my eris not being able to do all that it can just because I jumped the gun and did the leak. :( Please don't make me seriously regret this! Unless of course this just means we wait till a Froyo Sense UI release... i can handle that. Mostly i want more space for apps and the WiFi tether. Thanks anyway... I'll just keep praying...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones