• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 update set for 3/26 (unofficially)

Who cares, the Supersonic and Nexus One release on sprint should mark the release of 2.1 for the hero. Why would any carrier release another flagship phone with a newer OS without taking care of existing customers. Sprint and its surrounding operations are incredibly focused on keeping it's current subscribers as far as phone service. They are also making an incredible push to adopt 4g as a wireless internet standard outside of the cell phone market.

The above post is all speculation and opinion but is weighted with a decent amount of current market analysis.

Upvote 0
I ran both versions of Fresh 2.0, and I like them both. I've been running DamageControl for about a week and it's also very fast and stable, plus it has the video working. I'm not sure, but the Fresh ROMs might get slight better battery life, though that's speaking strictly from impressions, never timed or measured. VVM won't work with any of them until the Sprint version drops and they can mash it in.

Upvote 0
Who cares, the Supersonic and Nexus One release on sprint should mark the release of 2.1 for the hero. Why would any carrier release another flagship phone with a newer OS without taking care of existing customers. Sprint and its surrounding operations are incredibly focused on keeping it's current subscribers as far as phone service. They are also making an incredible push to adopt 4g as a wireless internet standard outside of the cell phone market.

The above post is all speculation and opinion but is weighted with a decent amount of current market analysis.
Because they don't have to. Tmo has had the N1 since January, but none of their other Android phones have been upgraded to 2.1. VZW's Droid has a bucket full of broken promises, but still no update. The Eris is in the same boat as us, but at least we can flash their leak, lol.

Upvote 0
I'm going to call Sprint and demand they tell me the official release date. I had some issues with my phone so I RUU'd it back to stock with the assumption that 2.1 would come out this week. I can't believe how FREAKING SLOW an un-modded phone is, it hasn't been 12 hours and I'm already hating my slow 1.5 phone. I'm going to be like "look... you need to tell me if 2.1 is coming out this week... otherwise I'm modding my phone back because the Sprint stock version sucks!"

What do you think they'll say? :D

"Patience is a virtue ..."? or maybe, "Your free lunch will be with you shortly ..." :D

Upvote 0
we'll see. Android central (I think) had reported the 22nd a couple of days ago...so we'll see what happens
It appears to be bupkis. It's 8:46 A.M. on the west coast. By now, it would have been up. No dice.

ADDITIONAL: 9:17 A.M. Still nada.

2nd ADDITION : 10:44 A.M. Zip-o-roonie. Now, I'm going to sleep so I caqn go to work tonight. I'll check again l8r...

Upvote 0
I ran both versions of Fresh 2.0, and I like them both. I've been running DamageControl for about a week and it's also very fast and stable, plus it has the video working. I'm not sure, but the Fresh ROMs might get slight better battery life, though that's speaking strictly from impressions, never timed or measured. VVM won't work with any of them until the Sprint version drops and they can mash it in.

damage control is just a mixture of fresh 2.0 and 2.0b with a lil help from gbhil

well i SURE AS HELL hope they update it soon! & i sure hope this 2.1 update addresses their Network issues. i've had to turn my phone off @ least 4 times since this wednesday b/c i have not been able to get access any of my bookmarks or any webpage for that matter. i have even tried WiFi & nada. this not only sucks but a big inconvenience!

update your profile and power cycle your phone

Upvote 0
It appears to be bupkis. It's 8:46 A.M. on the west coast. By now, it would have been up. No dice.

ADDITIONAL: 9:17 A.M. Still nada.

2nd ADDITION : 10:44 A.M. Zip-o-roonie. Now, I'm going to sleep so I caqn go to work tonight. I'll check again l8r...

It makes no sense to keep checking. Within minutes of it being released, there will be a dozen threads about it here.

Upvote 0
I highly doubt we are getting the update in March... We are looking at may now because they didn't even set an official date for it yet... And even then, it can still get pushed back. OnLive pulled that shit last year. "Coming in Winter 2009". Its 2010 and now it changed to "winter" not even saying 2010.

These companies need to stop estimating times lol. Their estimations suck big time.

Upvote 0
These companies need to stop estimating times lol. Their estimations suck big time.

I suspect that the trouble is multi-layered, and is an issue in any development company.

1) Managers are promoted for producing quickly, so the top managers are in place because they managed projects with significant changes in appearance and not functionality.

2) A moron who could persist and finally squeaks through to get his Masters Degree is placed ahead of people with real world experience. BTW this doesn't mean I dismiss a graduate degree, just that sometimes a person gets hired based on paper rather than promoting from within.

3) As soon as a prototype is done, some managers assume it is ready for release.

4) And this is the biggest one... Someone in the company hears someone in a hallway mention an unrealistic date, the rumors spread and eventually leak outside the company and people in a forum assumes this is some super secret inside information that they propagate.

Upvote 0
The worst possible day to do a major firmware update would be on a Friday. What is Sprint going to do if the Hero's update doesn't go off without a hitch? The update will most likely happen around the beginning of the work week. That would give they time for damage control. We all know Sprint would never run into any problem, right? LOL Mike

Upvote 0
The worst possible day to do a major firmware update would be on a Friday. What is Sprint going to do if the Hero's update doesn't go off without a hitch? The update will most likely happen around the beginning of the work week. That would give they time for damage control. We all know Sprint would never run into any problem, right? LOL Mike

The TP2 update was released last FRIDAY.

Upvote 0
I said it before and it just doesn't make sense. A lot of people are going to drop the hero once the supersonic and nexus drop. Sprint and htc really dropped the ball on the hero and it will take a while for people to find this out. Windows just got their update.... that's saying a lot. Now the tp2 has it's update and the HD2 drops.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones