• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi,
I bought Desire on contract and I want to upgrade software to the newest version, 2.29.405.
I just wanna know if I need to backup my settings or this update will not change/delete my apps and stuff?

Thanks

its always best on any phone to backup settings/apps ect....you can do it by using MyBackUp or titanium both found on the android market.

the update to the newest version SHOULDN'T delete anything, but as with any firmware update there is always the risk that something goes wrong and you have to factory reset your phone to get the new firmware to behave properly...hence why its always a great idea to just back up everything.

Hope that helped :)

Reactions: pajopatak
Upvote 0
Yes, the main feature of the update was to fix an issue with Android Market crashing.

Unfortunately it has caused the inbuilt Flash to fail on a good number of handsets. As somone else already reported, installing the Flash 10.1 update seems to fix the Flash issue at the cost of 10mb data space

also alot of people have complained about hit and miss wifi use with certain connections too..

Upvote 0
Right, lets get one thing clear here...

I'm not saying there are no issues but if there were low-level issues with the update everyone would have problems. Chances are it's certain app combinations causing issues as I've never had any issues of any description with any OTA update released since the first ROM 1.15.405.3

If you have an issue reflash the update manually OR flash the full RUU from my signature and set yourself up from scratch

Reactions: Tholos
Upvote 0
Hi

Just update my desire to 2.29.405.2

Following this update I noticed a subtle change, though it may be my imagination.

I recall that the contacts list used to display the name, and also a caption underneath. I think this caption was "organisation" data of the contact. I've noticed that my desire is no longer displaying this info.

Can someone else who has updated their desire check this?

I am imagining things?? :thinking:

RyUK

Upvote 0
I am also on 2.10.405.2 with a debranded Virgin mobile and have yet to receive the update. My goldcard is my installed card

Hi,

I updated my Virgin debranded phone last night manually. Just download the file from the link provided by EddyOS and than place that onto the root of your SD card. You then boot into recovery and install from there. I just googled HTC manual update and found a good guide to follow.

All went fine and no issues found as yet.

Am still intruiged to know why we dont get notified about updates - very strange!

Upvote 0
Hi, finally up and running again with Wifi using the RUU from EddyOS sig, the problem was my orginal goldcard must have become corrupted and the other card was unsuitable to be a goldcard.
I checked the orig card with HxD and it was definately a goldcard but by rewriting the goldcard sectors it worked.
Marketplace is also now crashing which it never did before.

Upvote 0
You NEED the gold card for ALL updates, flash it now and it'll bugger it up!!

What do i have to do if the update has been run without the goldcard in?

My Mrs has ran the update with a different card in than i used to unbrand hers and now her wifi isn't working. I don't know if there are any other problems yet.
My fault really, i should have told her never to do it but i didn't think she would be notified of an update as my phone never is unless the goldcard is put back in :eek:

Upvote 0
Seems HTC have pulled the update - it's no longer listed on their website either

Having said that, you can just download the OTA and flash it manually so it's no big deal

I think its due to the high level of complaints about faults....I mean if this board is a kinda retrospective look at the Desire users, over half here had issues with either wifi, sync or flash..

I think its a good thing, means HTC are listening and likely to re-release after fixing the issues that some people are having...or this could be a precursor to a better update maybe a lil later on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones