• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3 UK ROM & androd 2.1 update - Help please

Gill_110

Jul 20, 2010
Please can someone please help.
I have an unlocked Orange HTC Hero, and loaded a 3 UK Rom Android 1.5, from the web forums. I'm not sure if I used "update-hero-generic-2.73.771.73-signed.zip" or update-hero-generic-2.73.771.73-rooted-signed.zip. Does it matter?

I now get the 3 UK OTA update to android 2.1, I want to use this and keep all the 3 stuff, but when I try to install, I get the following;

Build : RA-hero-v1.5.2
Finding update package

You've confused your poor Hero. :)

Even though you managed to install the 3 UK firmware, the OTA update still sees the handset as an Orange device due to its serial number and therefore refuses to install. To remedy this I see three options:

(a) Create a GoldCard to allow installation of the 3 UK OTA update. See this thread.

(b) Install the Orange ROM which will let you install the Orange OTA update. As you already have a recovery image flashed to the phone an update.zip repack would be the easiest option, as found here.

(c) Say "to heck with it" and jump to a 2.1 or 2.2-based third party ROM. :)

Upvote 0
Actually Slug, as far as I'm aware you can install any OTA update on any phone. Certainly worked for people installing the generic one on branded handsets.

The problem is, you've still got a custom recovery menu (the amon ra one), left over from whatever you've done in the past. Amon ra can flash just about everything but the official OTA updates, so you need to restore the old one.

If you made a backup (with flashrec), restore that. If you dont have a backup, you might have to install your 3UK firmware again using an RUU. (A goldcard will be needed for that).

Upvote 0
Actually Slug, as far as I'm aware you can install any OTA update on any phone. Certainly worked for people installing the generic one on branded handsets.

Ah, my mistake... thanks for the clarification.

Amon ra can flash just about everything but the official OTA updates, so you need to restore the old one.
Doh! The clue's in the error msg.... "E:No signature..." It can't flash unsigned files..... I've even got a note here on my desk to request this feature from Amon_RA. :eek:

My apologies to the OP for dashing blindly up a dead-end. My only excuse is being out in the unexpected sunshine all afternoon. :(

Upvote 0
All that should be needed is to make the goldcard, install the 3UK Firmware.exe (giving you the official recovery menu) and then you should get the OTA update with the new firmware.

Rooting is only necessary if you wanted to use titanium backup. But I assume you're not intending to root the new ROM, so titanium backup isn't useful to you. But be aware you'll have to backup everything before installing the 1.5 firmware again.

The SDK and amon ra things aren't useful to you for this.

Reactions: tracy_dee
Upvote 0
I have a Orange branded Hero..
I have just paid for an unlock code.. so its ok to use on other networks.
The firmware is 2.1-update1
What i would like to do is load a 3 branded rom, as i want to use my 3 sim.
I have rooted my hero with Androot. (why i dont know..lol)
I have made a gold card...
to get 3 software on, what is the procedure that you followed?
I assumed that if i downloaded the 3 software from htc, then that was enough but i cant seem to install anything? Codes 140 - boot fail etc..

Am i missing something..

I just put the goldcard in the phone, connected hero via usb, then just run the Nuu 3 file?

thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I have a Orange branded Hero..
What i would like to do is load a 3 branded rom, as i want to use my 3 sim.

Welcome, Tracy!

Having an Orange firmware installed won't prevent using it on another network now that it's unlocked.

If the handset is rooted you can get rid of the Orange bootscreen, or (imho the better option) load up one of the excellent third-party ROMs available and enjoy improved performance and a better "user experience".

Upvote 0
thanks Slug...

But its here where my problems start....

My Goldcard wont work and im unable to load a 3 rom?
My goldcard has been tested ie.it opens up upon insertion into my phone.
When i try to execute the RUU it starts off well, but then it reports "bad boatloader code140.
I looked at the other link in the forum for this issue but i am unable to get mine working...

You mention that i oughta look at custom roms...

Is there a stable,fast 2.2 variant out there that everything actually works on?

My orange firmware at moment is 2.1 update1 - this put on at repair centre.

If you can give me a simplistic,woman friendly, step by step - how to.. then
im willing to give it a try...

thanks

T

Upvote 0
I'd advise against installing the 3UK ROM when your handset is already updated to 2.1. It can be done but it entails downgrading to 1.5 iirc and then reinstalling the 2.1 OTA.... too much hassle imho to swap one lot of branding for another.

I only mentioned custom ROMs as an alternative if you were dead-set on removing the Orange firmware. Personally I'd just run the handset unlocked "as is" for now and enjoy it. :)

Upvote 0
The problem I have is that with the 2.1.update1 official firmware from Orange running, my network coverage is really poor with 3. When i put the three card in a 3 device, the signal is good and strong??

That might just mean that the reception is better in the other device. I'm not sure if a new firmware will update the Hero's radio ROM or not.... I think so, but then you can do that anyway on a rooted device without the hassle of a ROM update and consequent wipe. What baseband version is currently listed under Settings/About phone?

Upvote 0
Well, it is true that Orange phones come with a different radio from the rest of the world.... But signal bars are a very subjective thing, so you're not necessarily getting a different signal with the two phones.

It's a lot of hassle to switch ROMs and you may not see any benefit. You can't really predict it.

EDIT: Slug, if you remember Orange phones had the problem with the 2.1 radio, so they must be using different radios to everyone else. So the 3 firmware would flash a new one.

I agree that if you're going to switch firmwares you may as well go for a custom one. It's not much more effort.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones