• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

30 Days running out

stmartin84

Dec 8, 2009
GA
OK guys and gals, I love my Eris. Great phone, but I just heard that Verizon is putting out a new droid. Has anyone seen these? I think they are called HTC Passion.

I have this stray thought of returning my phone and grabbing one of these when they release.

Thoughts???

OK guys and gals, I love my Eris. Great phone, but I just heard that Verizon is putting out a new droid. Has anyone seen these? I think they are called HTC Passion.

I have this stray thought of returning my phone and grabbing one of these when they release.

Thoughts???

i have another upgrade in my families plan im going to use in six months...
but im thinking, do i want to do that.
this phone is perfect!
to be honest, im a winmo guy. so i said i would get this droid until microsoft gets its act together...it doesnt look good.
on top of that, THIS phone is amazing!
let alone what comes out in the next 6 months!
i would say keep this phone. once its rooted we will have plenty storage so it will be "future proof" for at least another year and a half.
by that point you should be ok for a early upgrade :)
android is the future and the phone we have now is sufficient for all the advancements that look destined for this platform.
forget you have days to send it back and focus on customizing it to your lifestyle :D

Upvote 0
i have another upgrade in my families plan im going to use in six months...
but im thinking, do i want to do that.
this phone is perfect!
to be honest, im a winmo guy. so i said i would get this droid until microsoft gets its act together...it doesnt look good.
on top of that, THIS phone is amazing!
let alone what comes out in the next 6 months!
i would say keep this phone. once its rooted we will have plenty storage so it will be "future proof" for at least another year and a half.
by that point you should be ok for a early upgrade :)
android is the future and the phone we have now is sufficient for all the advancements that look destined for this platform.
forget you have days to send it back and focus on customizing it to your lifestyle :D

I wanted the latest and greatest phone and I've been holding out for the Droid Eris. Got it 2 weeks ago, love it. I am hoping that as the software is upgraded, this phone too will get upgraded. I can't wait for 2.0 mainly for the navigation feature, but other then that I just didn't want to keep this phone then have one come out with a larger screen, faster, newer, etc. when I just got this phone. I'd rather wait and get that one if in fact it's much, much better. Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
If you return this one to wait for the Passion, I am sure you will see rumors of a phone thats even better than the Passion and will wonder if you should return it and wait for this next phone. You will never have the latest and greated because as soon as you decide to keep something, another phone will be coming out.

If you like the Eris, keep it ... if you dont like it take it back. I wouldnt worry about a phone thats not out yet, because there is always going to be something better thats not out yet.

Upvote 0
If you return this one to wait for the Passion, I am sure you will see rumors of a phone thats even better than the Passion and will wonder if you should return it and wait for this next phone. You will never have the latest and greated because as soon as you decide to keep something, another phone will be coming out.

If you like the Eris, keep it ... if you dont like it take it back. I wouldnt worry about a phone thats not out yet, because there is always going to be something better thats not out yet.

So true buddy! I agree 100% I wanted the iPhone for 2 years being that I'm a huge mac guy, but fell for the Android. I guess I could always pass this onto my wife when her contract expires and I could upgrade.

Thanks for the advice. Point well taken.

Upvote 0

So true buddy! I agree 100% I wanted the iPhone for 2 years being that I'm a huge mac guy, but fell for the Android. I guess I could always pass this onto my wife when her contract expires and I could upgrade.

Thanks for the advice. Point well taken.

Same exact situation here. I got my phone 2 weeks ago (during buy-one-get-one), and I love it, but the HTC Passion rumors are starting to get me wondering if I "jumped" too early. I also like to have the "latest and greatest", but I had the same thought... There is always going to be something better on the way. If you keep waiting for that, you'll never get a new one, because you'll just be waiting forever.

Unless this phone magically comes out before January 5th (end of my 30 days), and happens to be the best phone ever created, I will be sticking with my Eris ;)

Upvote 0
well im trying to wait mine out. according to the verizon website and my receipt if you purchased your phone after november 15th your return date is extended during the holiday season until january 18th. so with the rumors of this nexus one getting a possible january date im going to wait and find out if it shows up, if it does ill return and get it, if it doesnt ill keep my droid and look forward to the android 2 or 2.1 update hopefully in january as well.

Upvote 0
Let's say I return my phone. I wait a month or two to see if these problems get fixed (or to see if Verizon puts out a better product). If I then decide that I want the Eris back, will I be allowed to get it again with my upgrade deal?

Should be able to... By returning it, you are not upgrading, so I believe you should still be eligible for whenever you decide to.

Upvote 0
It seems to be confirmed the Passion isn't coming to verizon. If anything it is going to either be an unlocked Google everything phone or a T mobile device. This is the passion here.
Nexus One, The Google Phone, Captured In The Wild (Pictures)

i also read about this extensively that google will be selling it "unlocked" and will cost a bit of money since there is no data plan attached (ie att, tmobile, verizon) .. the other thing is that the phone is supposedly NOT supportive of cdma which is what verizon is (while att and t-mobile are not cdma), so it cannot be carried by verizon but rather a different company, so prepare to change carriers if you want the phone.

Upvote 0
As a follow-up to me previous post: It seems reuters has news of their own but can only say its a "rumor", so don't take it to heart.

Reuters is reporting that a source of theirs indicates a January 5th date for the Nexus One to go on sale. They’ve been advised that it will be at a “reduced price to consumers who agree to a service contract from Deutsche Telekom’s T-Mobile USA“. Are we skeptical? Sure. It’s only a couple weeks away but whatever. We thought it would be months before Google Goggles was ready and here it was rolled out days after we learned of it.

Here’s the price: $199 unlocked in stores. $100 rebate online if you have an active and old Google account. That $100 rebate is either to buy it $99 online from Google’s online phone store, for using on Android Marketplace or for using on any Google Checkout stores. Can also be used for T-Mobile or AT&T pre-paid Data SIM card service at $29 per month, no contracts required.

if you want to believe in rumors, your going to have to switch out of verizon (i dont know how much you like verizon) and move to GSM... CDMA might not come out for months afterward. There is no recognition of verizon because it does not do GSM. This phone will not come out on verizon, period. I have no plans on moving out of verizon's network myself because ive always been satisfied.

also this bit of information is disheartening...

Google will push full VOIP usage on these, meaning no voice/sms plans needed at any carrier. Voice will go through Google Voice on Data SIM cards and will provide unlimited free voice calling. And SMS is replaced by unlimited free Gtalk.

no sms? replaced by Gtalk? what about the rest of the world...

My thoughts as of right now, stay with the Eris.. i mean there's so much to look forward to and the phones are very similar. wait for one new phone, and another one will top it.. its endless... but if you think Verizon is going to get the Nexus One, your crazy. Yeah it sucks that Verizon is getting stiffed after getting the android os just a few months ago but what can we do? its cdma folks. start planning on getting on ATT (which sucks too much in my area to even think about) or T-mobile now if you don't like it.

to each his own :eek:

Upvote 0
well im trying to wait mine out. according to the verizon website and my receipt if you purchased your phone after november 15th your return date is extended during the holiday season until january 18th. so with the rumors of this nexus one getting a possible january date im going to wait and find out if it shows up, if it does ill return and get it, if it doesnt ill keep my droid and look forward to the android 2 or 2.1 update hopefully in january as well.

so in other words, your leaving verizon (they aren't getting this phone - verizon is cdma). which carrier are you going to?

Upvote 0
Check your receipt. I bought my Eris November 26th and I have until Jan 13th to return it due to the holiday return policy. I love mine and will have no problem keeping it if nothing better comes out by then.

What's the holiday return policy? I was talking to 611 yesterday and they didn't mention it; I bought mine online if that matters.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones