• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

35% off all DROID accessories at the Verizon store

I bought the car mount on the Droid's launch day and was very dissatisfied with it. Ended up getting a mount from ProClips instead and am very satisfied with that decision. I'd suggest you look into this kinda stuff before jumping on this deal. YMMV.

$20 for the motorola dock.. or $65 for the proclips setup.. I think I'll take my chances. I see quite a lot of people are perfectly happy with their oem dock so I have no qualms about buying it. For what the Proclips setup is, it just doesn't seem worth their bloated prices.

That said.. if the car mount does indeed suck, it'll probably sell for what I paid on ebay or craigslist.

Upvote 0
While the price of the two docks is concerning, keep in mind you get what you pay for. And yes, the ProClips setup is quite pricey (even for a high-quality device) but if it prevents you from getting into even a minor accident, or from getting just one traffic ticket, it basically pays for itself.

My gripes with the OEM dock:
- Suction-based docks tend to fall off the dashboard / windshield; when it happens while you're driving you either leave your phone+dock on the floor or try to pick it up and re-mount it while navigating through traffic.
- The setup is very bulky and stands out (in a bad way)
- Charging cable not included, so docking your Droid means you have to clip it in then plug the cable in.

With the ProClips setup:
- Since it's made specifically for your car & for the Droid, it actually looks like it's supposed to be there.
- Charging cable attached to the dock; all you have to do is slide it in.
- You can slide out the keyboard if needed (I wouldn't suggest typing while driving, but useful for the passenger to assist you)
- No magnet is the only flaw, but Car Home works and if you really wanted to you could mod a magnet into the ProClips dock.

Pretty clear to me why I'd go with the ProClips dock, but like I said, YMMV.

Upvote 0
My problems with the Pro-Clip are:
1. For my model of car, it puts it right in front of my heater vents and is awkwardly placed almost behind my steering wheel. I don't feel comfortable having any kind of device in the direct line of heat, as my heater gets very hot. The phone already gets hot enough charging and running the GPS. I guess it would be good in the summer though when the a/c is running.

2. The "base" looks like nothing more than a 50 cent piece of metal bent to slide in between my console bezel and dash, yet they charge almost $30 for it. The holder I could see costing a bit, but again, they want $35 just for that. Throw in a charger and they up it by another $20. What really makes no sense is the "hard wired" version is another $20 on top of that and it has no plug at all, just bare wire.

So now we're talking almost $85-$100 if I want a mount that charges my phone, that also puts it in an awkward place. Or I could go with the OEM dock that sticks to my window, or dash, or a friction pad for $20. At least if it does suck I'm not out much and could probably make most of it back from Craigslist. I personally haven't really seen too many complaints about the Moto dock, not saying there aren't any, but not enough to dissuade me at all. I've had decent luck with most suction mounts lately.. my TomTom has never once fallen off the window.

I guess ProClips are for people who just have money to burn.

Upvote 0
I speak only from personal experience. My TomTom fell off the windshield and off the dashboard so many times I stopped using it altogether.

Not trying to wish bad luck upon you, but I'm sure the cost of repairing a dent or scratch because you had to take your attention off the road to pick up your phone+dock that just fell off the windshield and into your cup of coffee and spilled on your lap is less than the cost of even the most expensive proclip setup.

I guess auto-body repair is for people who just have money to burn :')

BTW - yes, the $89.99 dock pricing is absurd, but that's definitely not the one I'm recommending :p

Upvote 0
Just in case anyone is concerned about the quality of the Motorola car mount, I have been using one ever since they became available, and it has never fallen from the windshield. I even modified it by removing the upper left corner to allow me to record video while driving, great for recording trail rides in the Jeep.

Upvote 0
I just bought a Car mount, and like a dummy, didn't think of the charger, so is it worth it to buy the $30 one from Verizon since it's "official" but with the discount it will be $20, or should I buy it elsewhere?

I bought a car charger from Monoprice.com. Works great. I bought two wall chargers, a car charger, and a handful of usb cables for under $15 shipped from them, and they all work perfectly.

Wall charger: HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Car charger: HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

USB cable 3ft: HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

USB cable 6ft: HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Upvote 0
Everything I have bought from VZW in the past 8 years has been billed to my account. So much easier. If you can't find a link, just call a rep and they should be able to do it.

Yeah I talked to another rep and they tried to walk me thru it, and asked me if I saw this link and then so on and so on, got all the way to payment type and still wanted credit or gift card.

=/ I call bs on Verizon! You guys suck! :p

Upvote 0
My problems with the Pro-Clip are:
1. For my model of car, it puts it right in front of my heater vents and is awkwardly placed almost behind my steering wheel. I don't feel comfortable having any kind of device in the direct line of heat, as my heater gets very hot. The phone already gets hot enough charging and running the GPS. I guess it would be good in the summer though when the a/c is running.

2. The "base" looks like nothing more than a 50 cent piece of metal bent to slide in between my console bezel and dash, yet they charge almost $30 for it. The holder I could see costing a bit, but again, they want $35 just for that. Throw in a charger and they up it by another $20. What really makes no sense is the "hard wired" version is another $20 on top of that and it has no plug at all, just bare wire.

So now we're talking almost $85-$100 if I want a mount that charges my phone, that also puts it in an awkward place. Or I could go with the OEM dock that sticks to my window, or dash, or a friction pad for $20. At least if it does suck I'm not out much and could probably make most of it back from Craigslist. I personally haven't really seen too many complaints about the Moto dock, not saying there aren't any, but not enough to dissuade me at all. I've had decent luck with most suction mounts lately.. my TomTom has never once fallen off the window.

I guess ProClips are for people who just have money to burn.

All of the above, plus the fact that having the windshield mount just under my rearview mirror makes it that much easier ot look at hte nav when checking the mirror, and vice versa. Having to look at the center console, one place I rarely look at, makes that, for me, more of a driving hazard as I am having to add a new location to pay attention to.

Granted, NAV mode also voices directions, it is not a major issue, but it still is an issue, nonetheless.

A second issue I have is that I am driving a 10 year old Altima with 170K miles, with a newly rebuilt transmission. I don't plan on keeping the car for much longer, and that would mean either adapting a ProClips to the next car I get or dishing out more money to them when I get said car.

This one dock is a one size fits all....

Just in case anyone is concerned about the quality of the Motorola car mount, I have been using one ever since they became available, and it has never fallen from the windshield. I even modified it by removing the upper left corner to allow me to record video while driving, great for recording trail rides in the Jeep.

+5 - had it since day 5, moved between 3 cars, never fallen off once.

Upvote 0
I cant BELIEVE I didnt see this bundle option that someone mentioned on another forum.

If you click on Chargers, there is a link for bundles. You can use the DROID35 promo code on a bundle for a Media Dock, Car Mount and Car charger that comes to $32 after tax with free shipping!

OOPS! Missed that one. I bought a car mount for $21 after tax.

I have not tried the promo code with this bundle, but another forum member said that it worked.

Upvote 0
I cant BELIEVE I didnt see this bundle option that someone mentioned on another forum.

If you click on Chargers, there is a link for bundles. You can use the DROID35 promo code on a bundle for a Media Dock, Car Mount and Car charger that comes to $32 after tax with free shipping!

OOPS! Missed that one. I bought a car mount for $21 after tax.

I have not tried the promo code with this bundle, but another forum member said that it worked.
Many people missed the bundle, contacted verizon and were told they could return them to the local verizon (if within the allowed 30 days) and then order the bundle online.

You can also return ship to them for free. Your order should have come with a return label OR you can get one online at their site I've been told. No restocking fees.

Upvote 0
Many people missed the bundle, contacted verizon and were told they could return them to the local verizon (if within the allowed 30 days) and then order the bundle online.

You can also return ship to them for free. Your order should have come with a return label OR you can get one online at their site I've been told. No restocking fees.

Good to know! Thank you. I just bought the bundle and had plans to sell the extra car mount on Ebay. Now I will just return it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones