• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G/4G/ WIFI question

Hello all so question about 3g 4g and wifi
When on phone / texting am I using 3g service ? Is wifi Only for the browser and apps OR will the text/ calls go through wifi ?
I am in a basement apt with bad reciption .. will a 4G phone help this ?

no...thats like not having oxygen in the basement and asking whether to nose or mouth breath. If the basement is blocking signal there is a good chance your phine will not pick up 3, or 4g. And yes, wifi on is generally for the web, email, or apps that use data(facebook, youtube etc)

Upvote 0
It might in your area...out here verizons 4g doesnt penetrate normal walls very well. For your service a $g phone couldnt hurt as more 4g towers for all carriers will be going up. for better cellular service you can either leave the basement, get a different phone which picks up signal better, or change carriers(fyi with my tmobile wifi calling, it only works when Im connected to wifi AND have cell service...in other words its fairly useless, and calls have to be made over phone signal)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones