• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung S21+ hotspot giving me 3G speeds via wifi & ethernet

elflamablanca

Feb 8, 2023
I dont have wifi at my new place yet so I have been using my verizon S21+ mobile hot spot to connect my xbox to the internet. I have also used a USB-C ethernet adapater and connected the phones connection directly to the xbox. Both options give me 2mbps download and 120-130 latency. It seems crazy that I am getting speeds lower than 3G.

Is there anything I can do to improve this performance? Would I see any improvement if I connected my laptop to the mobile hotspot and connected the laptop to the xbox via ethernet. After making those connections I would share the hotspot network with the ethernet adapters network connection on my laptop.

does not matter what you do. your speed will only be as fast as your cellular connection.....so it will depend on how strong your signal is where you live. if anything connecting to your xbox to the laptop which is then connected to your phone via mobile hotspot could only slow things down even further....not speed it up.

Reactions: mikedt and AugieTN
Struggling with slow Verizon S21+ hotspot speeds. Considering connecting laptop to hotspot, then Xbox via Ethernet. Any thoughts?

So you're close enough to a hotspot to connect from your house? or the hotspot is being generated by your phone?

Why go through your laptop? Can't the Xbox connect to the WiFi of the hotspot?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones