3G Mobile Hotspot - VPN?Support

Last Updated:

1. Macinator

Macinator New Member This Topic's Starter

I got my 2.2 update last week and the Mobile Hotspot was what made it all worthwhile for me. However - I just discovered it may be completely useless for me. BTW - I am not rooted.

I do have tethering as part of my service so my Mobile Hotspot worked immediately. I discovered that I can't launch a VPN session though. It works fine it tethered to the phone via USB but not when using the stock 3G Mobile Hotspot. This is a deal breaker for me since I need to access the VPN using an IPad and tethering via USB not possible with that.

Does anyone know if the 3G Mobile Hotspot is crippled to use HTTP/HTTPS only? Is there anyway to install 3rd party Hotspot with full features or is it time to bite it and root the phone? Are there Hotspot apps that are not protocol restricted when rooted - sorry have not searched that route yet since I am hoping there is a way to remain non-rooted.

Thank you,

Scott

Advertisement
  2. breznou

breznou Well-Known Member

There was a thread about this but it was lock due to breaking the rules so I will not post how to do it but I will pm you what I did to make it work, I am not rooted as well and have the offical ota.

3. Macinator

Macinator New Member This Topic's Starter

Moot point - problem was not with the Wifi Tethering (3G Mobile Hotspot), it was with VPN protocols. Laptops always on PPTP Encrypted, Android only seems to work on PPTP Unencrypted for me. Had to change IPad to PPTP Unencrypted or better yet, L2TP and it ran fine.

Scott

4. vjo

vjo New Member

On a similar subject I also received the upgrade on my Verizon Incredible. I am currently using PdaNet to use my phone as a wireless modem and access the Internet through my laptop. Does anyone know if this 3G Mobile Hotspot app is for use with the paid service only?