• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G Mobile Hotspot - VPN?

Macinator

Lurker
Jun 27, 2010
I got my 2.2 update last week and the Mobile Hotspot was what made it all worthwhile for me. However - I just discovered it may be completely useless for me. BTW - I am not rooted.

I do have tethering as part of my service so my Mobile Hotspot worked immediately. I discovered that I can't launch a VPN session though. It works fine it tethered to the phone via USB but not when using the stock 3G Mobile Hotspot. This is a deal breaker for me since I need to access the VPN using an IPad and tethering via USB not possible with that.

Does anyone know if the 3G Mobile Hotspot is crippled to use HTTP/HTTPS only? Is there anyway to install 3rd party Hotspot with full features or is it time to bite it and root the phone? Are there Hotspot apps that are not protocol restricted when rooted - sorry have not searched that route yet since I am hoping there is a way to remain non-rooted.

Thank you,

Scott

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones