• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4.04 or 4.05 update? When?

Nov 30, 2009
I've decided to wait on the ICS update from Google instead of installing it myself. However there does not seem to be any current news on when the update is going to be released. I just want to know if there is anybody that has any information on when they will be pushing out the update? I read somewhere that there was going to be a March rollout but I have not heard anything else.
Does anyone know anything?? are we getting 4.04 or 4.05??

I've decided to wait on the ICS update from Google instead of installing it myself. However there does not seem to be any current news on when the update is going to be released. I just want to know if there is anybody that has any information on when they will be pushing out the update? I read somewhere that there was going to be a March rollout but I have not heard anything else.
Does anyone know anything?? are we getting 4.04 or 4.05??

I'm in the same boat... I keep saying to myself... "well as soon as you root & unlock, then the OTA will come out so you might as well wait"... and week by week the OTA still isn't out. ><. Sigh.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat... I keep saying to myself... "well as soon as you root & unlock, then the OTA will come out so you might as well wait"... and week by week the OTA still isn't out. ><. Sigh.

Yeah, I understand your thinking, except you do know you can unlock AND root, and still accept OTAs right?

Reactions: trophynuts
Upvote 0
My problem is I have a lot of files, banking, documents, etc that I will lose if I root. I'm really not interested in setting up all those different apps again.

Use titanium backup. It's really easy.

- backup your /sdcard via MTP to your PC
- wifi stuff and some other google settings are backed up (if you chose that option during setup, if not you can still enable it)
- run titanium backup to backup apps and their data
- run sms backup and restore to backup your sms
- backup your launcher's config (most have this, if it doesn't , consider a different launcher)

Then you can unlock the bootloader, root, then copy back all your stuff from the sdcard via MTP. Boot back up and restore your apps and data via TB, the sms via sms backup and restore and the launcher's config.

Yeah, it's kind of a PITA but you will get used to it. And if you have a custom recovery like clockworkmod, it won't mess with the sdcard, so you can skip the step backing up the sdcard and restoring it in the future.

Upvote 0

- wifi stuff and some other google settings are backed up (if you chose that option during setup, if not you can still enable it)
- backup your launcher's config (most have this, if it doesn't , consider a different launcher)

Then you can unlock the bootloader, root, then copy back all your stuff from the sdcard via MTP. Boot back up and restore your apps and data via TB, the sms via sms backup and restore and the launcher's config.

Yeah, it's kind of a PITA but you will get used to it. And if you have a custom recovery like clockworkmod, it won't mess with the sdcard, so you can skip the step backing up the sdcard and jrestoring it in the future.

Now that sounds quite complicated but doable. The only thing is I use apps like pageonce and pocketmoney. Takes alot of time to set up. You cannot back up those apps. I could reinstall them I just don't know if I want to.

Upvote 0

Yeah, it's kind of a PITA but you will get used to it. And if you have a custom recovery like clockworkmod, it won't mess with the sdcard, so you can skip the step backing up the sdcard and restoring it in the future.

fwiw. Titanium Backup requires root to work. From the App description in the Market...i mean from Google Play....:D

Description
EXTREMELY powerful tool. Backup ALL apps, Market links, remove bloatware & MORE!
&#9734;Needs ROOT, Android 1.5-4.0+ (ARM,x86,MIPS)
&#9734;Over 4 million users, 28+ languages!
&#9734;PRO Key is available on Market!
&#9734;Voted #1 TOP ROOT APP on Twitter.
&#9734;Problem? See matrixrewriter.com/wiki
&#9734;Scroll down for more info & VIDEOS ;-)

Reactions: stpbby
Upvote 0
This is starting to get a little annoying. I was hoping to get OTA by the end of February. ICS 4.03 is rolling out for HTC Sensation now and supposed to hit SGSII in a few days as well. How can Google let Nexus lag behind others on the latest Android version?

I have to wonder if some of the bugs in the phone are proving extremely difficult to fix. I can't see another reason why with the known issues out there, Google hasn't released a maintenance update yet.

Upvote 0
Reactions: trophynuts
Upvote 0
Here is the root method that does not require you to unlock your boot loader (no data loss).

http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...oot-un-root-without-unlocking-bootloader.html

Once you have root Titanium Backup should be able to back all your apps and data then you can unlock your boot loader if you want to install a ROM etc.

Thanks. I think thst might be an option for me. I'll have to do some research. It would be nice if they would just push the update or at least give us a date.

Upvote 0
They never give dates.... especially with Verizon. Google does their own testing, then sends it to VZW who does more testing, then they send it back to Google, and so on. Basically they don't really know when it will be released until the testing is complete and its ready to be released. Then they do a limited test release.... then we get it here.... then they do a full rollout.

Upvote 0
They never give dates.... especially with Verizon. Google does their own testing, then sends it to VZW who does more testing, then they send it back to Google, and so on. Basically they don't really know when it will be released until the testing is complete and its ready to be released. Then they do a limited test release.... then we get it here.... then they do a full rollout.

All true. However, keep in mind the GSM Nexus has not been updated either. So I don't think the delay (if we can call it that, we have been given no real date, just like the Nexus release date...ah deja vu!) lies in the hands of Samsung and/or Google. If it's Samsung, it must be something that's common to the GSM and LTE handsets (perhaps the one-way mute thing?).

Reactions: Lucky Armpit
Upvote 0
All true. However, keep in mind the GSM Nexus has not been updated either. So I don't think the delay (if we can call it that, we have been given no real date, just like the Nexus release date...ah deja vu!) lies in the hands of Samsung and/or Google. If it's Samsung, it must be something that's common to the GSM and LTE handsets (perhaps the one-way mute thing?).

Correct. Plus, if you recall, they started to roll out the 4.0.3 to the Nexus S (I think) and had to halt it due to problems. I am guessing they pulled back on rollouts for the GNex until they resolved those issues and will probably roll out the 4.0.4 to the S and Gnex soon.

Upvote 0
Correct. Plus, if you recall, they started to roll out the 4.0.3 to the Nexus S (I think) and had to halt it due to problems. I am guessing they pulled back on rollouts for the GNex until they resolved those issues and will probably roll out the 4.0.4 to the S and Gnex soon.

Has anyone heard about the update possibly being 4.0.5 instead of 4.0.4. If so, what additional improvements are being addressed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones