• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Frustration after system update

smasheroO16

Feb 12, 2017
Can anyone comment usefully on something that I discovered yesterday (26 Feb 2023). My phone is an Android — a Motorola moto g22. On 25/2/2023, I allowed a system update (update number: STAS32.79-77-28-18-2) and everything seemed fine. However, the day after the update, I clicked on DuckDuck Go, which I had downloaded and installed myself, months ago, and had trouble-free use of.

Since the update, when I click on the icon for DuckDuck Go (a search engine), instead of it opening, what opens is something called OneDrive (I believe this is a Google storage site). Oddly, when, months ago, I had dragged an icon for "Drive" (that name exactly) on my desktop, it showed as an an icon that was different from the triangular icon for Drive that shows in my Apps folder. It had its own icon (different, as stated), plus a small inset of the icon for DuckDuck Go, attached to it and seemingly a part of the OneDrive icon! Furthermore, its name was not "Drive" any more, but "OneDrive". (The original app, in my Apps folder, still shows as a triangle, with the name Drive (only).

I am sure that Google/Android does not take kindly to users having DuckDuck Go installed, because they want to track what you do on-line, whereas DuckDuck does not allow tracking. Previous system updates have not prevented DuckDuck Go from opening.

Can anyone tell me how to get DuckDuck Go to open as it used to do before this update?
With thanks in advance,
S.

I don't know what happened there, but for the record "OneDrive" is the name of Microsoft's cloud storage service.

Those are always getting confused. Isn't there a Google One and a Google Drive. I don't need extra storage so I don't use either. OneDrive like you said is Microsoft

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
your other option would have been to try deleting cache and even data for duckduckgo. if that does not work, then you can un-install and re0install the duckduckgo. just an fyi going forward;)
Thanks for the extra information, ocnbrze. I'm sorry about the delay in replying, but I have been busy away from the computer. One can never have too many tips, so I shall remember that.
S.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones