• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Approximately zero downloads in the first 2+ days would kind of make a joke of a gradual roll out that is supposed to be complete in 10 days. :)

I was relatively patient until they announced... now they have committed, they should either publish an "Oops, we were a little premature," or release it as THEY reported.

I won't even get into what hell I would have to deal with if I refused to give my users an anticipated release date for new functionality until the day I was ready to release. Then, as if announcing at the last second wasn't bad enough, they don't follow through with a significant roll-out... not a good business model.

But, I will wait the 10 days they have committed to before I worry about it too much...

Reactions: larry510
Upvote 0
What if there is a problem? Like someone makes a rom and 3/4 of the people have issues with it. Should he just keep it out and let people download or should he fix it then rerelease it? Its logic guys. A little inconvenience with waiting is way better than getting it early and have tons of issues with it THEN having to wait for the update patch. Your call. If you can wait.. root, unlock, and flash jb. That's pretty much all we can do at this point.

Upvote 0
My issue is that, along with the other carriers, Sprint is treating their customers unprofessionally. Why is this an acceptable business model for the cell companies when any other tech company PLANS their releases, and lets their customers/users know what the planned release date is well in advance?

If we, the paying customers, don't gripe in forums etc, then they will continue to treat us as irrelevant in their business model. How does that benefit anyone other than Apple at this point.

Upvote 0
Stock. Rooted. Unlocked.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363023989480.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363023989480.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0
I just think this doing it in waves thing is silly. They need to come up with a better system where everyone can get it at the same time. If they can't do it OTA at least make an online manual download option. Not fair to make someone wait 14 days+ longer than someone else.

My issue is that, along with the other carriers, Sprint is treating their customers unprofessionally. Why is this an acceptable business model for the cell companies when any other tech company PLANS their releases, and lets their customers/users know what the planned release date is well in advance?

If we, the paying customers, don't gripe in forums etc, then they will continue to treat us as irrelevant in their business model. How does that benefit anyone other than Apple at this point.

Ok, I can appreciate the frustration but maybe a little background can help here.

First - no one releases to everyone at once for a simple reason - _bandwidth_.

That means computer server bandwidth to meet the demand, the network traffic on the backbone, and then the distribution and tower bandwidth.

If any carrier or supplier tried to update everyone everywhere all at once, then no one would be able to get email, texts, you name it, during that cycle.

Some day, I imagine that technology will improve or even fix that - but not today. It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of iron. :)

The instant-update-for-everyone idea came from the first Nexus models. Note that until the Galaxy Nexus model came out, there were actually less than 2 million Nexii worldwide - far less than is common for a single model on Sprint alone. As the numbers grew, so did the roll-out schedules.

On the concern that others are lying -

Yeah. Maybe.

But all it takes is for a tech to throw a switch the wrong way and a sneak-peak happens.

I got one of those a few years ago. And I was called a liar. Until the following week when the actual update went out OTA. And - it was a slightly different revision to mine. Mine was only supposed to go to testers, and they found problems.

That's how it works. ;)

Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: Alsaces Daddy
Upvote 0
Than why when apple comes out with an iOS update, it rolls out worldwide ? As soon as you hear about an iOS update, you can check any idevice and poof ,its there. This was released on Friday and you cannot seem to find anyone out there who has received it? It came out for the sprint s3 ,you heard it was released, checked your device ,and it was readily available for download . I have had many devices in the past and never waited this long for an update once they said it was available..... Just saying......

Upvote 0
Than why when apple comes out with an iOS update, it rolls out worldwide ? As soon as you hear about an iOS update, you can check any idevice and poof ,its there. This was released on Friday and you cannot seem to find anyone out there who has received it? It came out for the sprint s3 ,you heard it was released, checked your device ,and it was readily available for download . I have had many devices in the past and never waited this long for an update once they said it was available..... Just saying......

And does the update go out over the web or via an OTA for iOS releases??

Does it get pushed out, or do users have to hear about it and then go fetch it?

And when did Apple change their policy on that? Very recently.

If you believe that the world is able to all get iOS updates at just the same instant, I think you'd want to re-check your research on that.

Sprint releases regionally, via OTA.

Sorry you're having to wait.

Upvote 0
I understand a phased roll-out. What I don't understand is failing to keep paying customers informed.

If the carrier has a target date and keeps it secret, then it is unprofessional. If the carrier has no idea when the release will be until the last minute, then it is also unprofessional (just in a different way).

Anyone should receive heat for failing to meet a projected/announced date, this is no excuse to avoid keeping your customers informed by providing a target date. However, for some reason the cellular industry has a culture that seems to embrace keeping customers in the dark. I would actually be happier if they told us what was going on, even if it was that they don't expect a release until July.

As a side note, since I see no evidence of anyone receiving JB since the Sprint announcement (in 4 pretty active Android forums), I would hope for the company to step forward and let us know that the update is indeed being rolled out, or is delayed, or was announced prematurely. It is not like people aren't venting their frustration on Sprint's site...

Upvote 0
That means computer server bandwidth to meet the demand, the network traffic on the backbone, and then the distribution and tower bandwidth.

If any carrier or supplier tried to update everyone everywhere all at once, then no one would be able to get email, texts, you name it, during that cycle.

Some day, I imagine that technology will improve or even fix that - but not today. It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of iron. :)

I don't believe that the LG Optimus G has been a hot seller for Sprint. Everybody I know has a different device such as the GS3 or iPhone. Would there really be this huge bandwidth crunch if they released the update to everyone at the same time (or at least over a more timely period)? I can certainly see this as problem for other devices but not this one.

Maybe I'm wrong but still I don't think a single person has actually received the update over the past 5 days when Sprint said the update was officially available. My point is that I hope Sprint and Google can figure out a more timely way for everyone to get the update faster. Iron out those kinks and make it better. Maybe at least a way to manually do it from Sprint's website for those of us who hate sitting around watching others get the update days or weeks before we can.

Upvote 0
An official sounding post on the Sprint Community said that the ZVA --> 4.2 was wrong, and would be corrected on their site. We are getting ZVB --> 4.1.2

Of course, since the early leak (which seemed to only go to select XDA users) there has been no sign of anyone actually receiving the OTA update, only assurances that it is currently being rolled out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones