• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.2.2 upgrade fail

dvdwsn

Nov 26, 2010
Got the notification on the weekend that 4.2.2 was available on my stock rom, rooted Gnex. Started the install and when I got to CWM and said yes to installing an unsigned zip, then I got the error shown in the attached image.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    990.3 KB · Views: 127
Hi and welcome to AF, dvdwsn. :) What carrier are you with?
Hey, thanks Metroid. Rogers

I would suggest to download Kies on your computer and connect the device and install the update through Kies :)

Otherwise you could, hopefully you made a backup, restore a backup of your previous rom or just flash a new rom.
Well my 4.2.1 install is still running. I'll check out Kies, thanks.
Yeah I may just do a clean 4.2.2 install.

Did you fastboot boot into cwm or is cwm installed on your device?
I have CWM installed on my device.

Upvote 0
I have CWM installed on my device.

Trying to install an ota file with custom recovery installed on the device will usually fail on nexus devices because part of the ota file is to patch the stock recovery. The two ways to get around this is to either re-install the stock 4.2.1 recovery, fastboot boot into cwm and flash the ota, or flash a factory image.

Upvote 0
Trying to install an ota file with custom recovery installed on the device will usually fail on nexus devices because part of the ota file is to patch the stock recovery. The two ways to get around this is to either re-install the stock 4.2.1 recovery, fastboot boot into cwm and flash the ota, or flash a factory image.
Ahhh ok.
Well I definitely want to keep CWM. I may go back to 3rd party ROMs in the future.
Would fastbooting into CWM and flashing the OTA replace CWM with stock recovery?

And by factory image do you mean this?
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#yakjujdq39
Would it also replace the recovery with stock?

Upvote 0
Just keep in mind that - as I recall - 4.2.2 breaks the 4.2.1 root exploits. You may (and likely will ) lost root privilege with the OTA update. I may be confusing this with the S3... it IS early... but I know that Verizon OTAs are notorious for that.

I would highly recommend just flashing a 4.2.2 custom ROM that has all the goodness of the OTA - PLUS the ROM's extras - without all the bad stuff. I use JBSourcery 4.5 and it's phenomenal.

Always make a nandroid backup BEFORE flashing anything! :)

Upvote 0
Hey Chief,
I'd like to stay with a pure Android experience, without any modifications. I believe Android is mature enough to offer a top level experience now, without add-ons.
Mainly I want to do this because every 3rd party rom I've tried has caused some amount of instability or problems in the long run.

Maybe I'll just try an deodexed 4.2.2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones