• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Okay so here's what happened. I was running Android version 6.0.1 and I wanted to root it so I went through a bunch of forums to find out what I needed to do and it turns out you can't root Android 6.0.1. Currently I'm running Android version 5 because I got a full image restore .zip file and installed it from my computer. Now I want to know how to root Android 5. I think I saw on some forums that maybe I can downgrade to Android version 4.4, root my phone, and then upgrade to Android 5 again, and I'll still have root?

I am using a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5.

Thank you!

Okay so here's what happened. I was running Android version 6.0.1 and I wanted to root it so I went through a bunch of forums to find out what I needed to do and it turns out you can't root Android 6.0.1. ....

Well actually it is very possible to root Android 6.01 devices, there are literally tens of thousands of people who have successively done so.
But after reading through your Info in your profile page you do indicate you want to do this specifically for 'hacking' games and being able to use apps like Lucky Patcher and such (essentially preventing developers from their earnings). Just something that needs to be noted.

Upvote 0
Well actually it is very possible to root Android 6.01 devices, there are literally tens of thousands of people who have successively done so.
But after reading through your Info in your profile page you do indicate you want to do this specifically for 'hacking' games and being able to use apps like Lucky Patcher and such (essentially preventing developers from their earnings). Just something that needs to be noted.
Thanks! I feel like an idiot now because I was already on this page multiple times but only went to the first topic. The third one solved the issue.

Upvote 0
Hello! Sorry to bother you so long after this post was made, but I don't plan to use root to hack games. I want it for things such as TowelRoot, internal audio recording, and unlocking my phone's full potential. I don't really hack games any more because it's no fun.

Anyway my point is, if you actually DO know a way to do this, could you tell me? I researched and researched and it doesn't look possible to me.

Upvote 0
Hello! Sorry to bother you so long after this post was made, but I don't plan to use root to hack games. I want it for things such as TowelRoot, internal audio recording, and unlocking my phone's full potential. I don't really hack games any more because it's no fun.

Anyway my point is, if you actually DO know a way to do this, could you tell me? I researched and researched and it doesn't look possible to me.
Towelroot only works on Kitkat with a kernel exploit. CF Auto Root or install Twrp then flash SuperSu on Lollipop and Marshmallow.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones