• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4G Bug.

riyatch

Nov 12, 2009
Im not sure why this isnt a bigger issue with everyone. I have 4G in my city but dont use it much because after i turn it on, the phone continues to search for a signal even after i turn it off until i reboot my phone. This drains my battery like crazy. I d/l'd alogcat and saw that the 4G radio keeps scanning non stop after it is turned off.
It seems like it should be a simple fix to have the 4G radio stop scanning once 4G is turned off. If this could be fixed then i would most certainly use 4G. As it stands now, i hate knowing that my battery is going to be sucked dry even after i turn off 4G.
Do other people not experience this? Is this problem isolated to just a few phones and thats the reason its not brought up more?
If anyone knows a fix for this then please share.
Thanks

Are you using a 4g widget? If so i know people were taking that off their screens because of the bug. Also i believe there was a bug to where after turning off 4g required a reboot because it would constantly scan all the time. The widget and constantly scanning are possibly one in the same.

I thought the last OTA addressed the 4g issue.

Upvote 0
no widget currently. was using switch pro widget but it keep messing with the 4g so i took it off. if i ever want to use it i just go into the settings menu and use it that way which is not very convenient. Actually, just dont use it because it kills my battery.

to find out if 4g continues to scan after you turn it off just download alogcat and you will see a wimax error repeat over and over and over

Upvote 0
Im not sure why this isnt a bigger issue with everyone. I have 4G in my city but dont use it much because after i turn it on, the phone continues to search for a signal even after i turn it off until i reboot my phone. This drains my battery like crazy. I d/l'd alogcat and saw that the 4G radio keeps scanning non stop after it is turned off.
It seems like it should be a simple fix to have the 4G radio stop scanning once 4G is turned off. If this could be fixed then i would most certainly use 4G. As it stands now, i hate knowing that my battery is going to be sucked dry even after i turn off 4G.
Do other people not experience this? Is this problem isolated to just a few phones and thats the reason its not brought up more?
If anyone knows a fix for this then please share.
Thanks

I don't know the full details of the bug, but have experienced it in regards to 4G widgets. The workaround is to go into Settings -> Network... turn OFF 4G (if already on), wait till its done, turn ON 4G, wait, turn OFF 4G, then reboot.

From here on out, only turn 4G on via the Settings Menu.

Upvote 0
Yes, using alogcat i get this message repeated after turning off 4g completely.

I/Wimax (103):<DC> Try to establish a connection to DC server.
E/Wimaz(103):<DC CONNECT> IO error:msg='/127.0.0.1:7771-

and this goes on and on until reboot every couple seconds................

also, my phone does not seem to lag like others have reported after using 4g, its just that the battery drains like crazy.

Upvote 0
Yes, using alogcat i get this message repeated after turning off 4g completely.

I/Wimax (103):<DC> Try to establish a connection to DC server.
E/Wimaz(103):<DC CONNECT> IO error:msg='/127.0.0.1:7771-

and this goes on and on until reboot every couple seconds................

also, my phone does not seem to lag like others have reported after using 4g, its just that the battery drains like crazy.

The connection to DC server is a symptom of WiMAX not going back to sleep.

Follow the instructions I laid out prior, and stop using toggles to activate 4G, and that'll resolve that.

Upvote 0
I had the issue, but the update fixed it. Ironically though, I called Sprint and they pushed the update to me because it had not shown up on my Evo as available yet. Works now whether I turn on/off in setting or via Widget.

One thing though, the Widget turn on/off isn't instantaneous so multiple presses even though I thought it was only a single press gave the appearance of turning off when the second press turned it back on or stopped the turn off.

No problems with the widget, but I watch it turn off now instead of assuming.

Upvote 0
The connection to DC server is a symptom of WiMAX not going back to sleep.

Follow the instructions I laid out prior, and stop using toggles to activate 4G, and that'll resolve that.

Not using any toggles or widgets, only the setting menu.
Tried what you said earlier but still have the problem.

Wow, hope I can fix this so I can start using 4g. Any other suggestions anyone?

Upvote 0
scratch all of that lol

ok so what exactly is the error you see

I am looking into a completely different issue and noticed this popping up
I/Wimax ( 2276): <DC> Try to establish a connection to DC server.
E/Wimax ( 2276): <DC CONNECT> IO error: msg='/127.0.0.1:7771 - Connection refused'

same thing ... interesting indeed. I don't believe I was getting this yesterday when on the stock ROM but I am on a different Rom today

Upvote 0
scratch all of that lol

ok so what exactly is the error you see

I am looking into a completely different issue and noticed this popping up
I/Wimax ( 2276): <DC> Try to establish a connection to DC server.
E/Wimax ( 2276): <DC CONNECT> IO error: msg='/127.0.0.1:7771 - Connection refused'

same thing ... interesting indeed. I don't believe I was getting this yesterday when on the stock ROM but I am on a different Rom today

That's almost the exact same error that I get. I posted above exactly what happens when I get the message in alogcat. I also tried this on a couple other evo's and the exact same error message popped up in alogcat. So, it seems that this is indeed something that happens on all non-rooted phones. I'm just wondering why this is not that big of an issues for everyone else. On my phon it seems to drain my battery after using 4g and makes me not want to use it. I don't want to have to reboot my phone every time I use 4g.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Did anyone every find a resolution for this? I just found out that this was the problem with my phone. I did a factory reset, but am afraid to turn on 4G (with or without using the widget).

Unfortunately, there is no resolution to this. Any of the solutions given in this thread were helpful for making stop, but only on a reboot. The fact is, if you use 4g, it's going to keep running until you reboot. HTC is going to have to fix it.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, there is no resolution to this. Any of the solutions given in this thread were helpful for making stop, but only on a reboot. The fact is, if you use 4g, it's going to keep running until you reboot. HTC is going to have to fix it.

Call Sprint, explain the issue, and ask them to push you the fix directly. I had this issue, and after I called Sprint and got the push fix, I've never had it since.

I use the built-in 4G widget to toggle on/off all the time with no issue whatsoever. I have the same build 00004 and the latest update.

Also, update your PRL to make sure you have the latest from the Sprint towers.

I thought this was a phone issue, but it turned out to be code-related.

I don't use task killers or other app controllers - just stock Sense.

Upvote 0
Call Sprint, explain the issue, and ask them to push you the fix directly. I had this issue, and after I called Sprint and got the push fix, I've never had it since.

I use the built-in 4G widget to toggle on/off all the time with no issue whatsoever. I have the same build 00004 and the latest update.

Also, update your PRL to make sure you have the latest from the Sprint towers.

I thought this was a phone issue, but it turned out to be code-related.

I don't use task killers or other app controllers - just stock Sense.

You have confirmed via logcat then that once turned off..it isn't still trying to connect in the background with no visible symptoms other than logs?

This is the first I have heard that there was a fix. They included some changes in the 3.70 update that fixed the lag, but logs clearly show that wimax is still searching for a connection even when 4g has been turned off.

Upvote 0
You have confirmed via logcat then that once turned off..it isn't still trying to connect in the background with no visible symptoms other than logs?

This is the first I have heard that there was a fix. They included some changes in the 3.70 update that fixed the lag, but logs clearly show that wimax is still searching for a connection even when 4g has been turned off.

Right, I think we might be talking about different things here. There are numerous issues with 4g. Such as automatically starting at boot, the radio not shutting off completely (4g shows off, but that message repeats in logcat), 4g not even turning on, etc. The list goes on. If you have, indeed, managed to keep that message in logcat from repeating after turning off 4g, but not rebooting, that would be the first case of this that I've heard of, as well. Likely, I think we're talking about different things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones