• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4g phone in 3g only area?

jkmasi

Android Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2010
Hi everyone. I'm excited to pick up a Galaxy Nexus at release, but I live in a 3g only area. I work in an area where even 3g is very weak. I live only about 60 miles west of the DC metro area, so I sometimes find myself in 4g land, but not often. Am I crazy to go for a 4g phone, when I will be on 3g only most of the time? It seems like all of the really great new phones on Verizon are 4g. I have a Droid 3 (hate - selling soon) and an Incredible 2 (like, but screen is too small), and I'm ready for an upgrade.

Will my 3g experience be worse or different on a 4g phone than on a 3g only phone? I've read posts about people having trouble with their 4g phone, not reliably picking up 3g. I'm thinking that maybe if I turn off 4g altogether, perhaps the phone will cooperate on 3g. Is this likely?

Just for the record - I live about 100 miles from 4G (about 120 miles from Atlanta) and I bought the BIONIC on drop day.

4G is not the only thing to go gaga over the phone. In your case, ICS would be the biggest thing to go gaga over, anyway - 4G is almost nothing compared to ICS.

Relax, get the Nexus and be happy. At least you sometimes travel to a 4G area - I'm in a Master's program right now so I almost never do....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones