• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5ghz wifi doesn't work consistently

B Nguyen

Lurker
Sep 5, 2018
Hi guys,

So I got the Note 9 during the pre-order time with Tmobile. I traded in my Note 4. The first couple days, the phone worked fine through 2.4 ghz wifi. But then due to the signal congestion in the area, i think, i had to unplug and replug the modem+router once or twice a day in order to make the wifi works. When it was on 2.4 ghz, i don't remember if my Note 9 got affected at all, i always had connection but the rest of the family devices did. So i decided to turn on the 5ghz and turn off 2.4ghz. Oddly, now the rest of the family, 5-6 apple drvices, smart tv, mac book pro and a samsung tab 4 have not had any issues at all with the internet. But my Note 9 started to act weird, sometimes there will be the '!' next to the wifi signal indicator and the phone loses the connection while other 5-6 devices are connected just fine. I have only found 2 ways to temp fix it: turn wifi on/off and forget network then enter the password again. This is annoying. I have network reset the phone several times but no luck. I am trying to understand if there is something todo with the phone settings itself or from the router. My Note 4 never had anything like this. What are your thoughts on this?

lot to take in....

off the top of my head, id say its the router. if you have a lot of devices on 5ghz, there could be some QoS settings on the router that could be causing issues. you may have mac address filtering going on in the router, or any number of things.

if you have reset more than once and still get the issue AND you are able to connect to other wifi networks, id say its a router issue.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem with my Note 9. Went into my router settings and changed my wifi channel to manual and set it to channel 153. Been problem free for weeks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190322-131616_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190322-131616_Chrome.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 935
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones