1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

6รท2(1+2) = ?

1. 9

94 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. 1

77 vote(s)
    44.5%
  3. 7

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Welcome to one of the easiest algebraic equations in the world!... or is it? MUAHAHAHAHA!

Can you solve this pesky little problem while also giving damning evidence that the other 2 can not possibly work? :p

YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE AND ONLY ONE!

Calculations:

Advertisement
    alostpacket and Stinky Stinky like this.
  2. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

LOL . . . the debate continues.

Actually, I once used a similar problem in HP ICT Training. In my case, it was this one: 1 + 2 x 3 = ?

Some said 9, some said 7. Oddly, when I expressed it the following way, time to solve was longer: 1.0 + 2.00 x 3.000 = ___

The answer to your question is 8.96. Also, make the responders prove their answer.

Since I am a world champion thread hijacker, I'll ask the gathered group to give the next number in this series and explain their guess.

1,1,1,2,1 _____

Bob

PEMDAS!

Nuff Said

If you are bored, try these math problems.

Unsolved Problems -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Bob
    jroc and Stinky Stinky like this.
  3. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

@Vihzel,
    Can I have a voting option: Both "9" and "1"? :)
  4. Abdur

Abdur Well-Known Member

If you use the order of operations, Brackets comes before all :p Therefore 9 would be the correct answer ;)
    (Either 9 or 1 :p )
  5. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

You have to make a decision simply based on the equation given in the title. Imagine as if you had that on a test. Better be careful. :)

An equivalent problem was posted on a physics forum with two answers essentially at 50/50.
  6. Stinky Stinky

Stinky Stinky Well-Known Member

Ahhh!

I like a challenge!

I LOVE Maths even though I suck at it so much! :)

Hmm the brackets say that is a single unit but on the other hand the division sign shows the whole thing or the entire equation is divided by 6.

So it looks like this:

2(1 + 2)
    ________

So it is 1.

So I think the answer is 1 if we use BODMAS. It should be that I think so at least.

However BODMAS claims that Division comes before multiplication and then multiplication comes after Division in that order / sequence.

But some Mathematicians say that neither Division and Mulitplication comes before the other but I am not too sure why lol.

I think they are both equally important because both basically boil down to Add and Subtract.

World champion thread hi-jacker LOL you make me laugh dude! :D

If we use sequences and series I think the answer is 3

I think this is an "Dual" infinite sequence :)

That is there are two sequences in this number line.

First Sequence is 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,

NOW the second sequence is:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc etc

But I could be totally wrong lol :)
  7. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

You must solve the problem within the brackets as per the order of operations, therefore it must be 9. Don't you guys remember 6th grade math?
  8. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

Brackets are clear enough. The more interesting part is this:

--- * 3 = 9

or

--- = 1
    2*3

Depends how you look at it... :)
    Tumeg, jroc and Stinky Stinky like this.
  9. indybail

indybail Well-Known Member

The parentheses dictate that the product within them should multiplied by the product external to them.
  10. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Ahh, wonderful trick question. I haven't seen this since my days as a janitor for the CIA ... ladies rooms only (hey, government jobs have their perks.)

It a basic binary cipher where integers represent 1's and symbols 0's so:

alostpacket likes this.
  11. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Well-Known Member

google says so ... i'm voting "9"
    Google
  12. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I go with 9 because of BODMAS

13. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

Wolfram Alpha says 9 so I'm going with that.

I'm guessing the answer is 3

The sequence is

and so on ...
  14. krouget

krouget Well-Known Member

The problem is more clearly written like this: (6/2) * (1+2), in which the answer is 9.

We were always taught to write using parenthesis/brackets when in question, so as to be clear about our intention, and to circumvent confusion.

In order for it to be 1, people would have to add their own set of parenthesis/brackets, which wouldn't follow the problem, as written. It's not written as: 6/[2*(1+2)], for example.
  15. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

my answer is 1.
    following BODMAS
    and the assumption of (), when next to a #, there is an assumption fo () around them.

so the equation should read:
    (6) / (2(1+2)) =
    6 / (2(3)) =
    6 / 6 =
    1 = x
    PrinceCorwin likes this.
  16. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

its 1

In school many years ago they taught us PEMDAS or Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally if that helped ppl remember it easier. They still do this today, my kids school anyway.

Parenthese
    Exponents
    Multiplication
    Division
    Addition
    Subtraction

Ahhh I was in so big of a rush I see Bob Maxey aleady bought up PEMDAS. It pays to read threads from the beginning to end and not skip...lol

I see one thing...there are some different schools of thought in here...lol I'm sticking with 1.

Now I'm curious: I see BODMAS could be interpreted division first than multiplication. How can one use both PEMDAS and BODMAS and get the same answer?

And doing some reading I guess I should say they taught us PEMDAS in the U.S.
    PrinceCorwin likes this.
  17. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

theres two right answers, if I remember PEMDAS was actually

P
    E
    M+D
    A+S

and it shouldnt matter what order you use. except with this problem CURSE YOU!
  18. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

as for your problem bobby boy (just felt like it ) im going to guess the answer is 3 although with my answer im inputting my own order

1(multiply->),1(divide->),1(subtract->),2(add->),1 _____
  19. ParishL31

ParishL31 Well-Known Member

I say 9 as well. With PEMDAS, it's what's inside the parenthesis. As others have said, when the one number is in the parenthesis and the other is outside, it can simply be rewritten with a multiplication symbole.

2(3) = 2 * 3, and once you rewrite it that way, PEMDAS takes over and you divide 6/2 first then multiply by 3.

Also just punched it into my TI-83 and got 9. I trust that thing with my life...well at least when it comes to math.
  20. apavolka

apavolka Well-Known Member

Order of operations (PEMDAS) states that multiplication and division is done left to right in the same step... as is addition and subtraction.. answer is 9.

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm
    Second paragraph about ranks
  21. apavolka

apavolka Well-Known Member

Also hate to burst your bubble but unless you dictate the order of operations into the equation when it is entered into a ti-83/84, the calculator will NOT follow order of operations.

However you are still correct.
  22. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Well-Known Member

it's 1...order of operations.
  23. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

so.. does the OP even have the right answer?????
    jroc likes this.
  24. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^lol!!

The parentheses is the key. Thats why I think its 1. Now that I think about it, I see how using BODMAS gives the same answer of 1. You work with the parentheses until you cant anymore.

Now I see how dan330 could use BODMAS and still get 1. And 2(3) is 2 times 3, thats what I was taught. Solving that still working with the parentheses makes that 6. Then its 6
  25. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

Clue #1:

Do not look at it as a math problem. Think every day life.