• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

6÷2(1+2) = ?

Votes: 94 54.3%

Votes: 77 44.5%

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
LOL . . . the debate continues.

Actually, I once used a similar problem in HP ICT Training. In my case, it was this one: 1 + 2 x 3 = ?

Some said 9, some said 7. Oddly, when I expressed it the following way, time to solve was longer: 1.0 + 2.00 x 3.000 = ___

The answer to your question is 8.96. Also, make the responders prove their answer.

Since I am a world champion thread hijacker, I'll ask the gathered group to give the next number in this series and explain their guess.

1,1,1,2,1 _____

Bob

PEMDAS!

Nuff Said

If you are bored, try these math problems.

Unsolved Problems -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Bob

Upvote 0
Ahhh!

I like a challenge!

I LOVE Maths even though I suck at it so much! :)

Hmm the brackets say that is a single unit but on the other hand the division sign shows the whole thing or the entire equation is divided by 6.

So it looks like this:

2(1 + 2)
________

So it is 1.

So I think the answer is 1 if we use BODMAS. It should be that I think so at least.

However BODMAS claims that Division comes before multiplication and then multiplication comes after Division in that order / sequence.

But some Mathematicians say that neither Division and Mulitplication comes before the other but I am not too sure why lol.

I think they are both equally important because both basically boil down to Add and Subtract.

Since I am a world champion thread hijacker, I'll ask the gathered group to give the next number in this series and explain their guess.

1,1,1,2,1 _____

World champion thread hi-jacker LOL you make me laugh dude! :D

If we use sequences and series I think the answer is 3

I think this is an "Dual" infinite sequence :)

That is there are two sequences in this number line.

First Sequence is 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,

NOW the second sequence is:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc etc

But I could be totally wrong lol :)

Upvote 0
Wolfram Alpha says 9 so I'm going with that.

Actually, I once used a similar problem in HP ICT Training. In my case, it was this one: 1 + 2 x 3 = ?

Some said 9, some said 7. Oddly, when I expressed it the following way, time to solve was longer: 1.0 + 2.00 x 3.000 = ___

The answer to your question is 8.96. Also, make the responders prove their answer.

1,1,1,2,1 _____

Bob

PEMDAS!

Nuff Said

Bob

I'm guessing the answer is 3

The sequence is

and so on ...

Upvote 0
Brackets are clear enough. The more interesting part is this:

--- * 3 = 9

or

--- = 1
2*3

Depends how you look at it... :)
The problem is more clearly written like this: (6/2) * (1+2), in which the answer is 9.

We were always taught to write using parenthesis/brackets when in question, so as to be clear about our intention, and to circumvent confusion.

In order for it to be 1, people would have to add their own set of parenthesis/brackets, which wouldn't follow the problem, as written. It's not written as: 6/[2*(1+2)], for example.

Upvote 0
its 1

In school many years ago they taught us PEMDAS or Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally if that helped ppl remember it easier. They still do this today, my kids school anyway.

Parenthese
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

Ahhh I was in so big of a rush I see Bob Maxey aleady bought up PEMDAS. It pays to read threads from the beginning to end and not skip...lol

I see one thing...there are some different schools of thought in here...lol I'm sticking with 1.

Now I'm curious: I see BODMAS could be interpreted division first than multiplication. How can one use both PEMDAS and BODMAS and get the same answer?

And doing some reading I guess I should say they taught us PEMDAS in the U.S.

Reactions: PrinceCorwin
Upvote 0

1,1,1,2,1 _____

Bob

PEMDAS!

Nuff Said

Bob

as for your problem bobby boy (just felt like it ) im going to guess the answer is 3 although with my answer im inputting my own order

1(multiply->),1(divide->),1(subtract->),2(add->),1 _____

Upvote 0
I say 9 as well. With PEMDAS, it's what's inside the parenthesis. As others have said, when the one number is in the parenthesis and the other is outside, it can simply be rewritten with a multiplication symbole.

2(3) = 2 * 3, and once you rewrite it that way, PEMDAS takes over and you divide 6/2 first then multiply by 3.

Also just punched it into my TI-83 and got 9. I trust that thing with my life...well at least when it comes to math.

Upvote 0
Brackets are clear enough. The more interesting part is this:

--- * 3 = 9

or

--- = 1
2*3

Depends how you look at it... :)

Order of operations (PEMDAS) states that multiplication and division is done left to right in the same step... as is addition and subtraction.. answer is 9.

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm
Second paragraph about ranks

Upvote 0
I say 9 as well. With PEMDAS, it's what's inside the parenthesis. As others have said, when the one number is in the parenthesis and the other is outside, it can simply be rewritten with a multiplication symbole.

2(3) = 2 * 3, and once you rewrite it that way, PEMDAS takes over and you divide 6/2 first then multiply by 3.

Also just punched it into my TI-83 and got 9. I trust that thing with my life...well at least when it comes to math.

Also hate to burst your bubble but unless you dictate the order of operations into the equation when it is entered into a ti-83/84, the calculator will NOT follow order of operations.

However you are still correct.

Upvote 0
^lol!!

The parentheses is the key. Thats why I think its 1. Now that I think about it, I see how using BODMAS gives the same answer of 1. You work with the parentheses until you cant anymore.

Now I see how dan330 could use BODMAS and still get 1. And 2(3) is 2 times 3, thats what I was taught. Solving that still working with the parentheses makes that 6. Then its 6

Upvote 0
Ahhh!

If we use sequences and series I think the answer is 3

I think this is an "Dual" infinite sequence :)

That is there are two sequences in this number line.

First Sequence is 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,

NOW the second sequence is:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc etc

But I could be totally wrong lol :)

Clue #1:

Do not look at it as a math problem. Think every day life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones