• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

8 gig storage not for apps?!?!?!?!

8GIG ONBOARD MEMORY

8gbincredible.jpg

Reactions: bollin and greggds
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I can vouch for this. I got the same message sent to me by Verizon.

I'm guessing someone might have cut/pasted part of the manual from another phone with an included 8GB MicroSD card... (HTC Desire/Droid Eris/Nexus One?)
That wouldn't surprise me. At my job we have to do very repetitive documents. Some people save time by coping and pasting a template and editing it for whatever issue their working on. However, it does lead to a lot of misinformation because they forgot to make an edit or two.

Upvote 0
The Omnia was like that. 8gig internal and up to 8 or 16 sd card. When they cracked that baby open, it was just an sd card hardwired to the board. And you couldn't reformat it or anything.

Classic! Probably cheaper at the time to do it that way, but the format issue seems odd...

The screenshot above is interesting, since it suggests some of the 8gb is allocated for apps. This would be great news:

1. More space, so more people will buy more apps
2. More commercial devs will get in on the action (app space is why they have not bothered)
3. Incredible will be viewed as the reason for the market spike
4. Android team will be forced to make more of an effort to release apps2sd (not on their roadmap for this year).
5. Devices will stop shipping with the lame 512mb rom (cost reason, so not lame as much as business reason for low mem roms).

Upvote 0
Anonimac's posting in main thread concerning this issue:

Hey folks...boy, that was a loooooooong evening, especially if you were taking part in the real time chat over on http://webchat.freenode.net/ in the ##DroidIncredible channel. That was a lot of Anonimac bashing even for someone of thick skin, let alone lil' ol' me who bruises so easily...:(

One of our informants brings us proof of the internal storage as has been reported for a while. Notice that there is no SD card in the phone and it is showing 6.6GB.:)

Proof positive that this phone does, indeed, have internal storage!:eek: Hope this matter will R.I.P.:cool:

incredibleinternalstorage.jpg

Reactions: alewifebp
Upvote 0
Now the question is, will it support 32gb Micro SD cards or are the post about it only supporting 16gb correct? I don't see how they could go backwards and only support up to 16.
I think any phone that supports micro SDHC cards will work with the 32gb. They probably just saw the 16gb card on the spec sheet and are taking that too literally.

Upvote 0
I think any phone that supports micro SDHC cards will work with the 32gb. They probably just saw the 16gb card on the spec sheet and are taking that too literally.

not necessarily. phones are limited to the size of sd cards they can access due to onboard specs. try putting a 32gb card in your old cellphone and see what happens it will crap out. it takes a certain amount of power to acess the info and utilize the card which is why there are limits on card sizes with certain phoens.

Upvote 0
not necessarily. phones are limited to the size of sd cards they can access due to onboard specs. try putting a 32gb card in your old cellphone and see what happens it will crap out. it takes a certain amount of power to acess the info and utilize the card which is why there are limits on card sizes with certain phoens.

True, for non-sdHC cards. Anything microsd 4gb and above is sdHC so will be OK. Could there be a rare case that is not true, of course, but would be rare.

Upvote 0
Kinda strayed off from the original question, which I'd still be interested to get an answer for as well. Wiill the 8gb (or what's left of it) be able to be used for apps, or no? This will not be a deal breaker for me, but I'll admit that I'll be dissapointed if the internal storage can't take apps.

Unfortunately I keep looking at the specs we have so far, which obviously haven't been absolutely officially given by HTC or Verizon yet, but I mean we're close enough. What I'm looking at is the fact that they still keep mentioning the 512 ROM SEPARATE from the 8gb of internal storage. To my understanding ROM is internal storage, but the way they list it here, it looks like that 512 may unfortunately be all you get for the apps, and the other 8gb is for everything else (pics, videos, etc...).

The whole thing is strange, because it seems repetitive, saying 512 ROM then 8gb internal storage. Why not just say 8.5gb? UNLESS one is for apps and one is for everything else. Maybe I'm just confusing myself to, I'm not the greatest with all this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones