• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A pdf reader which locks down zoom level and with easy paging?

thenrich

Jan 31, 2011
Looking for a pdf reader which locks all accicental slides or swipes. I want to lock down the zoom setting so that I don't scroll horizontally or get a different zoom level. I just want to page up or down the pdf without worrying about messing up the zoom or width level and I want to set the zoom level where I have no side margins and so get the text as large as possible.

I tried Adobe Reader and EZPDF but they both gave me a not very good reading experience. I have an iTouch and I love iRead. I wish they had an Android version so now I am looking for a reader which is very similar.

While the text mode is made for reading, I would rather have the experience of a continous upward scrolling (page after page), just like in a browser or desktop pdf reader. Also I am not sure what text mode does with large images which don't fit in a page. If it tries to fit the image in the page, image details get too small to distinguish any elements.

I want to scroll up or down with swiping without having the page sway sideways. I can't do a perfect vertical swipe so this doesn't happen!

I don't understand why most pdf readers don't have the option to lock horizontal scrolling.

Upvote 0
One more issue is that my pdf files have images, charts, source code, etc.. not just text. I am not sure how text view works but I don't think it can handle everything properly. Using page view will keep the page as is and that's perfect for me.

I just don't want to keep repositioning the page every I swipe to the next page.

Upvote 0
Like I said, RepliGo Reader with the text view mode is like a eBook reader.
eBook reader swipes their pages horizontaly (and lock scroll up down) :)

With pictures the handling in text view mode depends of the page layout.
Page layouts created for viewing on the big display of a PC can't be displayed beautifully on a phone.

Harry

Upvote 0
Text mode is only good for books which are mostly text. The pdf format is a format which preserves the format of the page and intended to view and print a page as the way it was designed. The text view has its uses.

Using a smaller screen just means everything is smaller. I can still read a full width pdf page in that 4.3" screen. If you take any computer book in the Heads First series which are full of annotations with arrows pointing from one annotation to another, the text mode will screw up the page. The head First books don't everything in generic columns and the text view will have trouble reflowing these. I can't read the text properly that way. I had the same page from one of the books opened in a desktop pdf reader and Repligo reader. I noticed the arrows were gone in Repligo. When a pdf reader starts removing page elements, it's not a very good reader. I know it's doing its best but text view is not suitable to begin with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones