• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A poor man's iPhone at the end of the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I DONT PREFER THE IPHONE !! (Where is the emoticon of me bashing my head against the wall?) :D

OK mayby that was the wrong phrasing, I apoligise.

The point I am trying to make here is that it is turning into a slanging match between users, whatever there preferances of phone choice.

I like the iPhone, it's a good phone and it's really great for playing games, listening to music, browsing the web... I'd love to have an intelligent disccusion about it's upsides, the Hero's downfalls and where both phones could improve.

But it never ends up like that. Never. It's a shame, but it's true. Ironically, you (malbon) and Trick are probablythe sort of people I'd like to have the discussion with, and were the ones ending up arguing! You two haven't done or said anything that would make me close the thread, and I am sorry you feel I am stopping your freedom of speech. I will leave the thread alone, but I will be amazed if this theme of insults doesn't continue

Upvote 0
As a matter of fact, it's the OP that's being lightly abused here. Phrases like: "it seems that the Hero probably is too much of a device for you?" and "Translation: I can follow howtos blindly as well as a next trained monkey."
I wasn't trying to abuse the OP with my post. I was merely refuting his argument (well, more of an implied statement) that rooting an android device is difficult and requires skill. Jeez, one can not even use a metaphor these days without someone getting their tights in a knot and screaming "ad hominem attack!".

Upvote 0
I was just about to post:

Vido: I don't envy you your moderator hat with this one. Maybe it IS better off closed.

I HONESTLY didn't want it to get nasty - I just want a better device. If I wanted an iPhone, I could get my bum down to CPW and get one before lunch. I've been there, done that. REALLY enjoyed the music/multimedia ability, and the great apps the iPhone has - but that's the frustrating part for me. The Hero is not restricted in ANY way. We need to up the game and insist on that quality on the Android platform.

Wanting better for Android is not bigging up iPhone. Lets just look at where it's good and imitate the best parts.

I shouldn't be branded some kind of traitor or fanboy for having that point of view.

Upvote 0
I was just about to post:

Vido: I don't envy you your moderator hat with this one. Maybe it IS better off closed.

I HONESTLY didn't want it to get nasty - I just want a better device. If I wanted an iPhone, I could get my bum down to CPW and get one before lunch. I've been there, done that. REALLY enjoyed the music/multimedia ability, and the great apps the iPhone has - but that's the frustrating part for me. The Hero is not restricted in ANY way. We need to up the game and insist on that quality on the Android platform.

Wanting better for Android is not bigging up iPhone. Lets just look at where it's good and imitate the best parts.

I shouldn't be branded some kind of traitor or fanboy for having that point of view.

I totally agree. Like I said earlier, competition is a good thing, and nothing in the phone market can beat the iPhone for multimedia playback or gaming functionality.

As I said before, I will leave it open for now. Mayby we can steer it towards a meaningful discussion? :D

Upvote 0
The OP has a Hero. He is on an Android forum.

If you are 100% happy with your Lexus, then that's great. However, if you liked a feature on another car, and thought you could improve your Lexus by adopting it - would you expect to get a load of greif over it?

Stop being a child. If you can't post without including silly little banners - then just stroll on past the thread. It's easy.

I thought everyone was entitled to their own opinion on here?

Upvote 0
Fascinating. Nothing but lots of silly handbag fights with hardly anyone actually answering my question.

Yes I know - a decibel meter - not the most important thing in the world. It was an example. Bluetooth - an example. The point I was making was that in real life tests - at the moment - it's not still getting it right. Name something that the Hero does better. So far I think I've had one example - Syncing - thanks!

I feel like a teacher but answer the question!

Upvote 0
Nothing. Go buy an iPhone and measure the sounds of each others voices with your decibel meter in the pub.

SEOT.

Fascinating. Nothing but lots of silly handbag fights with hardly anyone actually answering my question.

Yes I know - a decibel meter - not the most important thing in the world. It was an example. Bluetooth - an example. The point I was making was that in real life tests - at the moment - it's not still getting it right. Name something that the Hero does better. So far I think I've had one example - Syncing - thanks!

I feel like a teacher but answer the question!

Upvote 0
As I said before, I will leave it open for now. Mayby we can steer it towards a meaningful discussion? :D

But if we can't, and it degenerates into another willy-waving/name-calling/slanging match, it'll be closed immediately.

I'll take this opportunity to remind you all that the title of this forum is "HTC Hero". It exists primarily to offer support to users of that device. Comparisons with other devices are perfectly valid in a "how do I do xxx with a Hero?" context, or even "Why can't the Hero do xxx when the yyy can?" However.... endless "Hero vs zzz" threads only rile passions and clutter up the forum. There are several more general forums 'upstairs' where that sort of debate would be better conducted. This isn't about stifling free speech, it's about keeping the forum relevant and useful.

Finally, a clarification of the Guides' role. Forum Guides are not moderators, and have very limited admin rights. To quote the esteemed Phases, "The purpose of this group is to keep the phone forums clean. This is not an .. authority figure.. type role so much as an organizational role."

Thank you for your co-operation.

Upvote 0
Any strengths/weaknesses are merely perceived.

I have a Hero. I like it. I want it to be able to do things the iPhone can do, and I KNOW it can.

I'm all about pushing the platform/development on. This thread HAS degraded into name-calling. It's a shame, as it's a relevant topic.

OP: Get the Hero on gumtree/fleabay, then maybe look at getting the iPhone. It's may be the right phone for you. Good luck (genuinely)

Upvote 0
I can understand that owners get very defensive about their favorite devices but as Ardes says too many of these threads end in insults.

I am now on a Hero, having had an iPhone and N97.

No phone is perfect - I would love a Hero with the N97's FM transmitter - best I've ever seen, 32 GB onboard storage and ability to simply sync music with itunes along with Hero's interface, Android operating system and open app market.

Until a manufacturer produce such a God device I will stick with Hero as it suits ME best - other phones suit other people better - my mum loves iphone as simple - shes not computer literate.

This means no one is wrong or right - as were not all clones - perhaps threads like this should be "what I would like to see brought to Hero with example of iPhone etc to show how it works".

Remember we could have kids / vulnerable people taking part in this discussion and we have a duty to make them welcome and keep things friendly - not act like a bunch of drunks insulting one another.

As can be seen from my Avatar its clear where I stand - just keep it polite, with good humour and realise what's right for you isn't necessarily right for someone else.

To the OP you have the option of buying an iPhone and selling the Hero - if you only want to do one thing at once (cause its the way you prefer working) this may be the best option for you.

Upvote 0
@OP Real world example

Yesterday was the Algeria vs Egypt World Cup Qulalifying match, very important.

I was stuck on a train going home from work while the match was on, My Hero paid for itself that day.

I was listening to a radio commentary broadcast using my headphones,
reading the written updates on the BBC web page,
twitter notifications were being sent out picked up by twitterride and notifiying me,
facebook updates from friends also notifying me,
emails being pushed to my phone, again notifying me instantly,
at half time i started playing jewellust, when the game resumed i paused my jewellest game and carried on with the above (needless to say the other apps stayed open in the meantime constantly updating me.)

I was able to do everything at once, slipping between open programs with a tap of the home button and selecting one of the various apps i had open.

Thats just one example. I barely used my phone before i got a hero, now i'm on it constantly, where as the 4 other guys on my table leave their iphones alone all day.

Its all down to personal preference, i love the iPhone for bringing us into this age, but Android is the now and the future and is leaving hte iPhone in the stone age.

Upvote 0
I gotta add my two cents in on this thread lol

I just got my hero yesterday but it took me 3 months to really see what phone i wanted, everybody & their mama has a iphone & i think its an amazing fast tech phone but something just made me say naaaaa i dont want to pay all of that for a phone if honest. I love the hero so far & iam learning things daily i can do with it but as long as my reception is clear when i call people, the other stuff it does is a bonus, i love the style and size of it, its very slick so iam happy with it. on youtube people fight back & forth over silly ass jevenile things like, iphone loads pages 2 secs faster then the hero hahahaha, i mean come on what is really important here???

Upvote 0
Boring, childish ad hominem (if you know what that means).

I think you've answered my question though - nothing.

Sad indictment of this forum...I would have thought someone on an Android forum could have actually highlighted a strength over the iPhone.

Why must everything be about the iphone? Every new device is always compared to that thing.

The differences/strengths/weaknesses between the 2 phones are all SUBJECTIVE.

Some like the fact that the Hero is extremely open and customisable. The iphone is very restricted.

Some like the look of the iphone and hate the 'chin' on the Hero.

Some people have apple machines at home and therefore an iphone is the best choice of phone for them.

Some people just want a SIMPLE phone, and see the iphone as the easiest one to use.

I, personally, love the Hero over the iphone beacuse I like the look of it better. And the home screens were the deal breaker for me. Plus, it's just more fun.

So I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for here, since everyone looks for something different in a phone. One persons 'better' is not the same as the next persons.

Do you see?

Upvote 0
My wife has an iPhone - I have a Hero. I was about to get an iPhone when the Hero was launched. I know both phones really well and how they compare in what they do and how they do it.
Give me my Hero every time - the iPhone, however "slick" just doesn't cut it for me. On the other hand my wife (and daughter) don't like the Hero compared to the iPhone. They would never be happy with one.
Both phones are great - the iPhone speaks for itself whilst the Hero is taking one award after the next. This is a personal thing though and everyone should be entitled to their opinion - as long as it is a fully informed one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones