• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A "universal" app TOGGLE.... ???

Hi..... I was wondering if there is an app or widget available that will do the following. Often I notice that there quite a few (and often more than that) programs running on my phone at any one time. Things like Facebook, different weather apps that seeminingly turn themselves on on their own.

Now.... in an effort to "minimize" this... I often will go into the application manager and manually force a stop or even disable them from time to time. Often.... they will reincarnate themselves shortly thereafter.

Is there any app or widget available that will let you assign a certain number of apps to it and then let you toggle them on and off when you want or need them without having to go into the application manager or activating airplance mode etc.....

For instance.... an app that will let you toggle things such as Facebook, Accuweather, Instagram and others that keep popping up?

This would make life much easier for me without having to go into the app manager.

Thanks in advance.

Melissa ;)

What you're asking for is a task killer and these do more harm than good. These apps that are "running" aren't actually doing anything or using resources, they're just cached there waiting to be used so they'll open faster so don't even bother manually closing them, android deals with apps by itself.
There's a thread that explains it better. I'll go find it

Upvote 0
Android will cache apps in memory after you've stopped using them to save energy: if they sit in memory doing nothing they are available when you next start them, whereas if you shut them down then when you next open them they need to be reloaded, which is slower and uses more power. Also some apps will need to keep a service going to listen for updates or messages. Finally, Android will load up some of your most used apps anyway, again in the interests of efficiency. If the RAM is needed for something else then Android will close them itself.

So the bottom line on these things is that they are doing no harm as they are, and it will reduce your battery life if you keep killing them. Hence the best is just not to worry about these things. Sure, if you find you have a problem and it turns out that an app is misbehaving then you do something about that app, but as a general principle leaving it alone is better than interfering. It may not be intuitive if you are used to Windows, but that's the way it works.

And for the love of all that's holy don't install a "task killer" or "memory booster" or whatever else they are called (and as I type this I notice that Funky has got in with the link on those things, as well as a rather off-topic third post ;)).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones