• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

a window pops up when i mount my hero

jersey221

Android Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2009
Washington
ok so when i mount my hero to my laptop it asks me if i would like to scan it cause there may be problems with files on it or something and if i click scan it pops up another window with a start button i click it and then it brings up my hero as a removable disk and says please reconnect or something idk never saw this until now anyone know what going on?

It's not a virus scanner. It's Windows thinking there is something wrong with the sdcard's file system.

Try this:

- Look in My Computer and make note of what drive letter Windows has given your phone. If you're not seeing your phone mounted as a drive, then there's a whole other issue going on than what this tries to fix.

- Click the start button and in the Search/Run box type "cmd"

- At the command prompt type: chkdsk driveletter: /r
So if your phone was labeled drive "G" you'd type: chkdsk g: /r

This shouldn't affect or hurt anything. It's just clearing the checkdisk bit that Windows set on the drive the first time it was plugged in. If you're paranoid, you can back up everything on the sdcard to your computer before running it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones