• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Account problems

Goguma

Lurker
Oct 9, 2010
Hey,

I just switched over to the X10 today from the Blackberry Tour, and I'm loving this phone so far. However, I'm having some problems and have done a quick search and haven't found any answers.

Basically, I got this phone used off my dad, who already has his accounts attached to apps like the market, email, etc. I can't find an option to remove his accounts so that I can add my own. Any help? Thanks !

EDIT - I managed to find the answer in the manual! I'll leave it here in case of future searches:

1) Go to settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications
2) Scroll down to Gmail -> Clear data
3) scroll down to google apps -> clear data

Thanks guys !

I had the same question and did a lot of research into it, only to find out that the only way to change the default email address is to do a factory reset. Which seems like a shitty deal to me, but ahh well.

You can -add- additional accounts as I understand it, but the DEFAULT account? Has to be factory-reset. If someone else can correct this, please feel free, I'd love to think I was wrong.

I did try this method (Home > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > find Gmail apps > "Clear Data") but all it did was make my email unfetchable from the Gmail app. Now I'm going to just reset the darn thing :p

Upvote 0
I think the reason they made it hard to delete your account is that the phone is tied to the Android Market and your apps, most especially the paid ones, are tied to that account. If you get rid of the account your apps all dissappear into the ether along with it.

But it is a pain in the rear end to factory reset. I think there are a number of the Google type apps that you can clear the data on from within the Manage Applications menu as the first poster did.

This little gem of info came from people changing from @googlemail to @gmail on their email accounts and it then messed the phone up. So when that was going on there was much clearing of data and cache trying to avoid having to do the reset.

Hope you are both sorted now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones