• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ad-hoc support on Android 4.4.2 - how?

Hello guys

I have a problem

I have Nokia 808 phone with old Symbian system. I have JoikuSpot app on it. It allows to create hotspot from mobile data on Symbian. And I am able to connect my Arch Linux and Windows 7 to hotspot created by this app.

But my Lenovo IdeaTab A3000-H tablet doesn't detect this hotspot. I have read, that it is because of unsupport of ad-hoc, and JoikuSpot creates ad-hoc network.

I have Custom Rom installed on this tablet - Android 4.4.2 by kupyxa4444_mod.

So question - how to enable ad-hoc support on this tablet and ROM?

Thank you for any replies

Greetings

WW

You're apparently attempting to set up a WiFi hotspot network as opposed to an WiFi ad-hoc connection. Keep in mind ad-hoc WiFi is more of a one-to-one device wireless connection -- peer-to-peer over a device-sourced WiFi signal. It's local and between two devices.
A WiFi hotspot however involves a cellular signal as the source online connection, and the hotspot device is simply acting as a minimal router -- outputting a reduced capacity, reduced coverage WiFi signal.

Upvote 0
Hello guys

I have a problem

I have Nokia 808 phone with old Symbian system. I have JoikuSpot app on it. It allows to create hotspot from mobile data on Symbian. And I am able to connect my Arch Linux and Windows 7 to hotspot created by this app.

But my Lenovo IdeaTab A3000-H tablet doesn't detect this hotspot. I have read, that it is because of unsupport of ad-hoc, and JoikuSpot creates ad-hoc network.

I have Custom Rom installed on this tablet - Android 4.4.2 by kupyxa4444_mod.

So question - how to enable ad-hoc support on this tablet and ROM?

Thank you for any replies

Greetings

WW

As this is a low level thing, I would guess the WiFi driver in the custom ROM would need to be modified by the dev, if that's even possible. Or it could even by the tablet's WiFi hardware itself, just doesn't support connecting to ad-hoc. I suspect really the only thing you can do is change your tethering phone to a device that does use infrastructure mode WiFi, rather than the ancient Symbian device.

Some older devices would only support connecting infrastructure mode WiFi, and not ad-hoc mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Regarding this Joiku service you've referred to, that is an online service, yes? So again, if you don't have access to a broadband connection with a wireless router, you need to instead focus on implementing a hotspot. An ad-hoc connection is Wifi connectivity between two devices, one is the source, providing a limited WiFi signal, and then any devices that you want to connect to that source. It's a local-only file transfer setup, not an online access one. A hotspot on the other hand, involves the same scenario, one device provides a WiFi signal that other devices connect to, but that same device also relies upon cellular connectivity (mobile data) to provide access to the Internet.

Upvote 0
But I think that my model hardwate supports ad-hoc, because most of "wifi managers" detect Joiku network. But can't connect

I'm no expert on these things of course, but I suspect could be the WiFi Kernel driver in the ROM that needs fixing. And it can't be sorted out just by installing an app, if one exists.

If it's a custom ROM that has the problem. What about the original manufacturer firmware the tablet came with, did that work?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones