• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root adb device not found, 2.2, ClockworkMod 2.5.0.5

batkins61

Lurker
Oct 13, 2010
I'm following jonamerica's howto in removing bloatware, but when I get to "adb shell", I get "device not found". I've just mounted /system and am in ClockworkMod resovery, with USB connected (USB debug was enabled before I rebooted into recovery, do I need to enable USB debug while in recovery?).

On my Windows XP device Manager shows Android Composite ADB Interface.

When I type "adb shell", I get "error: device not found". adb devices lists nothing connected.

I've searched this forum and googled a lot since bumping into this and haven't found a solution that works. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

That all sounds right and no you don't have to make a secondary effort on the USB Debugging setting. Any chance you're currently running a Rom that has a known issue of not mounting internal storage? I'm not sure if mounting in Clockwork has the ability to over-ride this shortcoming but I'd be curious to know anyway.

Nope, running stock ROM

Upvote 0
When root was first achieved (the old adb in recovery trick) there were quite a few people who had issues with the stock usb cable. It generally is a pos.

I tried a couple of cables and none cause adb devices to report the device, or allow adb shell to work. In all cases, the device appears under Device manager (both when booted and when in recovery). I'm definitely in debug USB mode, which shows up both before I boot into recovery and after I boot the main OS.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I used the drivers and procedure in this post: http://androidforums.com/incredible...ivers-adb-bootloader-disk-drive-htc-sync.html

I'm trying to remove bloatware according to this post: Remove bloatware from HTC Droid Incredible 2.2 - Technology - Jonamerica.com which requires recovery.

Whether I'm in recovery or fully booted, adb doesn't see any devices. When I enable USB mode, I can see the disks just fine. I don't use HTC sync, so I've not tried that mode.

What mode should the phone be in, other than USB debug, to connect? Does it need to be in charging only, disk, htc sync, or what?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
i have the same problem on my nexus 4. its rooted with clockworkmod and installed cyanogenmod.

the problem is not connected to the usb-cable since the terminal in the phone cannot find itself.

this result in not being able to install and use apps apk.

i suspect something with the emulated storage location in filesystem. something with the path-setting?

this is my bugreport

spe[link]edy.sh/MKYnA/bugreport-2013-03-15-16-08-59.txt

any help greaty appreciated

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I know every1 has heard me whine about my future ex-husband taking owner/manager of our shared mobile phone account for a long while now!
I thought if I could root the phone (dinc) I would be allowing myself more choices about what and where I get my service separate from my husband entirely! I never could get anywhere with even the most mundane task as downloading data and even where the link took me when I did attempt to start getting ready to do the deed!
I have been not been very healthy these past few years and I end up spending a bunch of time online on my phone in order to entertain myself i.e. not losing my mind!
Problem is my phones screen has been blank since the day after I dropped it on a concrete floor! It worked initially, but the next day the screen was gone! This past week, my health improved enough that I could sit at the breakfast bar again, for a bit more time than usual and I went to the Verizon account to just register and turn on the phone! I needed to be able to do a complete download on my backup assistant plus and I am locked out of doing anything more than syncing to my contacts to my computer! Now, the phone still alerts me whenever someone sends me email and rings when someone calls. Someone made the suggestion that I buy a screen, tools and attempt to repair phone myself! Oh yes and this phone gives up a sort off spooky off key dong whenever it has the need. I haven't established a pattern. That was a tad scary so I decided to find a new dinc and put that new phone into service in place of my original dinc, not realizing I wouldn't be able to make certain all I had to backup, indeed has been backed-up! Can't ask my phone to do anything more than charge and do the backing Verizon had before backup assistant plus! When I decided to throw caution to the wind attempted to register the phone, I was told I have to get permission from the owner/manager, which my husband changed the moment he left our home. Example of how unreasonable my future ex is: I asked him to help our son out by allowing him to get his phone fixed or swapped. He won't answer! I sent him a request to add five people to my specific friends and family status, these are all people we both have been friends with for years..he won't answer! Then, most recently, I explained to him through email, it would be less apt to draw attention from Verizon and them try to force us to change or attempt to remove us from our grandfathered, unlimited data plan if he temporarily allowed me to register this phone and do what I needed to do, to use the third phone number, (Future Ex has a smart phone, our son has a smart phone and I also have a smart phone) all three that he has been paying thirty dollars a month for! He won't respond!!! So he is being childish and mean-spirited and I need to have an operational phone! I should also add that he left us to starve and the only thing he has been paying is the Verizon Bill, the homeowners insurance and one the three credit cards we shared! How can a father do that to a son! Now, I don't understand, if he left because he had a girlfriend, why he is mad at us! Other than the last time we physically saw each other, he ended up bringing his girlfriend with him to our house five days after running out on my son and I. Then, to add insult to injury he ends up assaulting me, two of our friends and the teen boys they brought with them to help me cart some of my husbands heavier stuff outside for him to pick up! He swings on us and misses, gets his teeth knocked in and then he, not us, calls the police. When the police hear from all of us what happened, he ends up being arrested! Now, none of us pressed charges! It was the state of AZ, The Town of Gilbert and the county attorneys office who brings him to court! How does that justify him being angry at me! To me, it all appears to be self-inflicted and I am not the type of person to taunt so the way I see it, I should be the angry one, but again, I am not angry, just hurt!
Sorry, I guess maybe I should pay you all because this feels very therapeutic to me! You poor guys are all probably wincing! I am not trying to offend anyone and I am sorry if I have offended! I think it would be good to have an outside perspective on this situation with my ex because I am entirely mystified!
I would also welcome suggestions and I promise not to monopolize any1 and no more hubby stories!
Thx

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones