• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Addicted - The Weather Channel

Although the Accuweather app LG put on my phone as the default weather app might well be perfectly adequate for my needs (but I wouldn't know, never having really given it much of a tryout), I've used WeatherBug for years, so I've loaded that onto the phone. And it's my primary source of weather information on my phone. What the heck, it's not like the phone's short of memory or anything; it can accommodate a second weather app without any strain.

One thing I do like in a weather app is a pollen report. Preferably not just the local pollen count, and a prediction as to tomorrow's count, but also some indication as to what sort of pollen it is - tree, ragweed, etc.

Beyond that, all I need are the basics - current temp, predicted high/low for the day, wind speed, cloud cover, humidity, and precip. If the next guy wants to see pictures of lightning strikes or a video explaining how a low off the coast of Africa may bring rain to Florida a week from now, that's fine. I'm not interested in any of that, but it doesn't offend me that the next guy might really be into such things.

Well, okay, as an amateur astronomer, I have technically made occasional use of two other "weather" apps - the NASA Space Weather app, and the Mars Weather Report app. Hey, sometimes I really want to know what the humidity is at Gale Crater, on Mars. Or what the chances are of the aurora being visible from upstate New York, a couple of nights from now.

Upvote 0
Although the Accuweather app LG put on my phone as the default weather app might well be perfectly adequate for my needs (but I wouldn't know, never having really given it much of a tryout), I've used WeatherBug for years, so I've loaded that onto the phone. And it's my primary source of weather information on my phone. What the heck, it's not like the phone's short of memory or anything; it can accommodate a second weather app without any strain.

One thing I do like in a weather app is a pollen report. Preferably not just the local pollen count, and a prediction as to tomorrow's count, but also some indication as to what sort of pollen it is - tree, ragweed, etc.

Beyond that, all I need are the basics - current temp, predicted high/low for the day, wind speed, cloud cover, humidity, and precip. If the next guy wants to see pictures of lightning strikes or a video explaining how a low off the coast of Africa may bring rain to Florida a week from now, that's fine. I'm not interested in any of that, but it doesn't offend me that the next guy might really be into such things.

Well, okay, as an amateur astronomer, I have technically made occasional use of two other "weather" apps - the NASA Space Weather app, and the Mars Weather Report app. Hey, sometimes I really want to know what the humidity is at Gale Crater, on Mars. Or what the chances are of the aurora being visible from upstate New York, a couple of nights from now.

There's an Android app for this site. If you learn where the highs, lows, fronts are coming from and going to, it helps with clouds.
http://clearskyalarmclock.com/
There was an Android app a couple of years ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones