• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adding Line on At&t Next payin phone off in month then cancel?

Kuhns787

Android Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2010
Oregon
So I went into At&t yesterday to switch my line to At&t next yesterday so I can pre-order the Samsung Galaxy Edge 6 without having to get a contract again and that way get it on release day and then when I get it sell my LG-G3 and some other stuff and pay it off. We had switched my husbands phone to the next program and mobile share data right before Christmas so I figured they would let me but no dice they said I couldn't until November! He apparently got in on some offer they were having that they did not tell me about when I upgraded for the LG-G3 and they are no longer offering it and will not let you switch until you are 1 1/2 years into your contract. Thus why I hate contracts! I will never do one again! MY question is if I add a line and pay the phone off in a month or two can I cancel the line and keep the phone like they do for T-Mobile? Has anyone tried this?

So I went into At&t yesterday to switch my line to At&t next yesterday so I can pre-order the Samsung Galaxy Edge 6 without having to get a contract again and that way get it on release day and then when I get it sell my LG-G3 and some other stuff and pay it off. We had switched my husbands phone to the next program and mobile share data right before Christmas so I figured they would let me but no dice they said I couldn't until November! He apparently got in on some offer they were having that they did not tell me about when I upgraded for the LG-G3 and they are no longer offering it and will not let you switch until you are 1 1/2 years into your contract. Thus why I hate contracts! I will never do one again! MY question is if I add a line and pay the phone off in a month or two can I cancel the line and keep the phone like they do for T-Mobile? Has anyone tried this?

Yes. I currently have 4 devices on ATT's next program (2 tablets, and 2 phones), and, once you pay the device installments off, then the devices belong to you. another thing that you can do as well, and I found this out from a lengthy conversation with customer care, is that even though you are paying installments on a device for 'x' amount of months, you can still use that device as a trade in to get a new phone on a full 2 year upgrade. the only thing is, you are still responsible for the remainder of the monthly installments on the device youre trading in, as per the 'next' contract. So, short answer to your question, yes.....oncw you pay a 'next' device off, its yours. hope that helped. :)

Reactions: Kuhns787
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones